Menu

Artistic Pursuits, but which book?

I posted before that I was looking for an art curriculum for my ds (going into 10th) and Artistic Pursuit was one of the suggestions. After talking it over with ds and looking over the other suggestions we decided to go with AP. Now we are trying to figure out what level. My son is severely artistically challenged...stick figured appear deformed...but he is willing to learn. Should I get the Jr High book 1 or the Sr. High book 1, or go all the way back to grade 4-6 book?

Also will working through book 1 and 2 be enough for an art credit?

I would write the author and ask her. She's pretty good about answering questions, though it might not be right away. We love this program but are only in the lower grade levels so I'm not help otherwise on this issue. I am artistically challenged and enjoy doing the grades 1-3 projects along with my kids, but the examples of the projects are doing by young kids which your child might not appreciate.

Last year I asked a similar question of the rep at HEAV. The most significant difference is in the "tone" of the instruction and not the difficulty of the projects. Each of the first books in a level (Elem, Jr. High, or High School) assumes no prior knowledge or experience with artistic expression. If your ds is going into 10th, he might feel talked down to if using the Elem 4-6 book. The Jr. High might be okay, but you can always compare the instruction style of Jr. High to HS by looking at samples online.

That said, I have the Jr. High Book 1 from a year ago and ds will be going into 10th and dd into 9th. I do plan to use it this year, but if I were buying new, I'd probably go with the HS level.

HTH,

Pamela in VA

Last year I asked a similar question of the rep at HEAV. The most significant difference is in the "tone" of the instruction and not the difficulty of the projects. Each of the first books in a level (Elem, Jr. High, or High School) assumes no prior knowledge or experience with artistic expression. If your ds is going into 10th, he might feel talked down to if using the Elem 4-6 book. The Jr. High might be okay, but you can always compare the instruction style of Jr. High to HS by looking at samples online.

That said, I have the Jr. High Book 1 from a year ago and ds will be going into 10th and dd into 9th. I do plan to use it this year, but if I were buying new, I'd probably go with the HS level.

HTH,

Pamela in VA

Thanks all for the info

From looking at the contents I saw they covered similar things so I decided to get the Sr. Level 1.