Menu

Fun latin curriculum

J9Mommy

I am looking for a fun latin curriculum. It would mostly be used for my 10 year old, but I do also have a 7 year old.

I would really like to focus on root words more than conversational. If that makes sense.

I realize this question comes up often, but I just couldn't seem to find a thread that was helpful to me.

Thanks.

Minimus is pretty fun, but not overly concerned with root words. For that, you might consider a vocab book. Lively Latin did have more root word focus, but my kids and I didn't think it was particularly fun (not bad at all... Just not "fun")

Minimus would be good for both 10 & 7.

When I think Latin Curriculum, I think grammar & vocabulary. Like a PP said, Minimus is fun, but I think you'll need some Latin knowledge to pull it into a full curriculum. I look at Latin like math - we can make it interesting, but in the end I want them to learn to think in an orderly manner and to stick to it until they've (or we've LOL) have figured it out. So I'm using MP products.

If you want more roots but still a full curriculum how about Latin for Children? I think it has more of a vocabulary focus. I've heard many good things about Lively Latin too. Galore Park's Latin is supposed to have fun / off-the-wall sentences to translate, but I think it is for middle school.

My 2 cents?

*If you want to test out Latin, get a copy of Getting Started with Latin. There is free audio on the book's website, you can all do it together, it's very simple/gradual, and it's inexpensive. So you can test the waters for $20.

*If you mainly want roots right now, I'd look at Rummy Roots (a game), English from the Roots Up (you used to just need the cards OR the book, not both), or Vocabulary Vine (I don't know the ages though).

Thank you both for your replies.

I have no idea what I really want out of Latin. After reading the replies, I guess I don't really want a full curriculum. I think I more just want some exposure to the roots....or maybe I don't know what I want. Haha.

I fully welcome any further advice :)

How about this?

http://www.criticalthinking.com/series/037/index_p.jsp

Thank you both for your replies.

I have no idea what I really want out of Latin. After reading the replies, I guess I don't really want a full curriculum. I think I more just want some exposure to the roots....or maybe I don't know what I want. Haha.

I fully welcome any further advice :)