Menu

Any AAR users?

newbieoftwo

I am using OPGTR with my son, but he dreads it. I printed out all of his reading parts on coloring pages just to avoid the meltdown that came with the book. However, he doesn't like to color :glare:. I've realized he is a kid that needs to interact with reading in order to get it. He has also has little confidence in his ability to read and needs plenty of phonics based readers.

After looking at AAR, I think this may be just to thing to bring some excitement and hands on fun to reading. Any pros or cons? Any suggestions on books (besides Bob Books) that focus on phonics?

I don't have any experience with OPTGR, but we love AAR. We switched last year because he dreaded the program we were using. He was extremely frustrated and bored with the lessons. AAR has been much more fun! He loves playing games with Ziggy and he is actually learning to read now! He does get bored at times when reviewing or working on the fluency sheets, so I break those up withthe Ziggy file folder games.

We were using the same program. My dd really wasn't enjoying and wasn't making any progress. She is doing so well with AAR 1 now! She really enjoys and I noticed an improvement in her reading within a couple of weeks. There are so many different ways they practice reading with AAR that it keeps it interesting - worksheets/games, magnets, cards, reader, fluency pages.

I have been very happy with the program!

• 2 weeks later...