Menu

Has anyone used MOH in 9-12?

I am planning on using MOH volume 1 for my ds this fall. He will be a 9th grader. I am adding things to it to beef it up. He will read the Illiad and the Odyssey and some other historical fiction. We are also planning a mythology study. I am adding in Famous Men of Greece and Rome. I have TTC lectures on Pharoah's of Ancient Egypt. I am requiring him to write a paper in King Tut. In addition he will research several major world religions and write a paper comparing/contrasting them to Christianity. I have several other essays planned as well. We will also do a timeline and read a good portion of the Old Testament.

There is a list of literature in the back of the book. I am looking forward to history with him. I want him to enjoy it and retain the information. I think the plan of doing MOH throughout high school will help meet those goals.

I used Volume I last year and am halfway through Volume II now. This pretty much sums up why I chose MOH:

I am looking forward to history with him. I want him to enjoy it and retain the information. I think the plan of doing MOH throughout high school will help meet those goals.

My 15yos would get little if anything out of a massive history book filled with endless facts and such. Using MOH has worked very well for him as the reading is obviously much lighter and yet he can be challenged in other areas such as reading the epics. My 13yod has thrived with MOH as she loves research and hands-on learning. I feel that MOH, fleshed out with literature and projects, is just enough for my dc.