Menu

If you've dealt with delayed potty training...

I'm open to just about any and all ideas. Dd is bright but has suspected ASD, OCD and sensory issues. She does not handle anything resembling criticism well either, which I think is part of the ASD.

I'm at my wits end with her over potty issues. At nearly 6 she still isn't even fully daytime trained. She detests going #2 on the potty and often holds it until she gets a pullup or just goes on the floor. She has no problem cleaning it up either :glare:. As for #1 she was going on the potty fairly good and then just stopped and is now refusing to go on the potty, but she'll go on the floor and clean it up right away :glare:. I can't just put her in pullups all the time due to both the cost and that she gets blisters when they are used for more than nighttime use. I don't want her to get in the habit of going on the floor either. She professes not to feel it when she needs to go, so I think we need to work on realizing the sensation or just going on a potty routine. FWIW she is also terrified of public toilets and the sound of flushing {especially the auto-flushers which seem to be everywhere now}, so we end up using a pullup while out of the house which I'm sure doesn't help things either.

I have GOT to get her potty trained. She knows this and hates that she has "accidents". She was very disappointed that she could have gone to Girl Scout day camp this summer except that she isn't trained. She's agreed to try the timer again today, but since it didn't enforce the habit last time we tried it I'm not very confident that this will work.

Anyone else have any other ideas? I'm open to just about anything right now.

I plan on bringing this up to her Dr. in September at her checkup, but her pedi isn't the greatest about issues so I don't think I'll get much help there.

FWIW, one of the first things the urologist will advise for working on the sensation - for any patient with voiding dysfunction - is sending her to the potty every 2 hours like clockwork, indeed with a multiple-alarm watch if necessary. I'd do this while waiting for an appointment, because it can take quite a while to get in to see a ped urologist (weeks or months).

Not feeling the sensation is a big deal. It sounds like you haven't ruled out medical issues yet, and I'd do that first, probably by visiting a pediatric urologist, though there are other possible medical avenues to consider. There *is* PT for working on the sensation, and the ped urologist can arrange this. I'd also consider some sort of OT to address the overall central nervous system (sensory) issues, though I don't recall hearing about OTs dealing more specifically with voiding dysfunction. Eta, obviously, in addition to nervous system problems, various kinds of urologic problems can also cause voiding dysfunction.

Voiding dysfunction is also one symptom of various rare spinal cord issues. My ds, who has a history of sensory issues, speech delay, etc., as well as kidney issues, also had a tethered spinal cord. Nerve damage due to a tethered spinal cord can be permanent, so this is not something I'd wait long to discuss. (FWIW, unfortunately his ped urologist completely missed the tethered cord. *I* am the one who put two and two together, called the ped and once the ped took a look, she immediately ordered the MRI. He has a tiny skin tag in his butt crack that none of the docs had noticed before). My ds had surgery to release the tehtered cord when he was 5. Other markers for spinal cord issues include anything out of the ordinary on the back along the spine, and in the butt crack. In particular, sacral dimples, tuft of hair, or other skin markings. Any such marker along with voiding dysfunction as serious as the problem you describe is enough to warrant an MRI. If your dd has a skin marker and the ped refuses an MRI, the doc to see would be a pediatric neurosurgeon.

Edited by wapiti

I have heard people swear by glycerin suppositories for training #2 in ASD kids. They are supposed to cause a movement within 1/4 to 1 hour after insertion. I tried it out twice on my little one when she indicated that she had to do #2 but neither time it worked. She ended up not having a movement until several hours later, by which time she was off the potty and back in her diaper. I guess she's simply not ready yet.