Menu

Sisters in Time Series ...

CatMomof3

My dd said that she wanted to restudy American History, ok fine that is why we homeschool. So we will be doing From Sea to Shining Sea (Catholic textbook) but I wanted to add some fun historical fiction. What do you think of the Sisters in Time Series? She has read and reread the American Girl Series. I am looking more for something fun, more night time reading on her own, nothing really heavy.

Thanks in advance

Now need to change my signature :)

This series is excellent in my opinion. But I also like the Dear America Series and its sister books. Their Royal Diaries series is the best IMHO. Also there is a series on colonial Jamestown from the kids perspective and how they lived. If you want something with a bit more christian perspective then I would look at Sisters In Time. I have all of this series (bought at ChristianBook.com several years ago) and it is really good. Also the trailblazer books might have a few that can be related to American History although most of these books focus on Missionaries from around the world. The Orphan Train books are also good if studying the 19th and early 20th Centuries. They do have a curriculum guide to go along with some of the Dear America Books.

Also YWAM has a series that are great called Heroes of History. They have developed a literature based curriculum that deals mainly with American History as well as one that deals with Christian History. The vast majority of their books have a companion guide to them. I recently got their History for Young Readers set and my son absolutely loves them. I think the first week we have them he wanted to read the George Washington book 3 times. Some of their books can be a bit on the graphic side for young kids when it goes into the martyrdom of christian missionaries. But depending on the age of the child these should be fine for most kids as read-alones or if concerned about some

of the details provided they would make excellent read-alouds.

Hope this helps.

I don't wish to offend - but we did not like the Sisters in Time series AT ALL. We sold the complete set soon after we bought it.

It was a revamped version of the older American Adventure series. For example, Sarah's World was really all about her brother John. She was basically a spectator while he was the protagonist. Why they marketed these books for girls I have no idea. Every book in the my daughter read had a boy protagonist with a sister in a supporting role doing nothing - she was done reading these after a few tries...