Menu

Anyone using CLE English?

Anyone using CLE English? If so, what do you think of it? Is it a difficult program to "jump" into? Is there a lot of review? How independent is it at the 400 level and on up? Also, what do you think of the spelling? Do you supplement the spelling or is it "enough" on its own?

Thanks for any info.!

I love CLE Language Arts! It gently builds up skills while always reviewing older skills. Because of the review, you can jump in easily. We originally jumped in at the 400 level and 700 level for my two ds with no problem. At these levels, it's designed to be indendent.

I like the spelling lists in this program. For one ds, the daily exercises they give are enough for him to learn his words. For my other ds, they are not. Using a dry erase board, I pretest him on the words, and then we do daily focused practice together on his missed words for about 5 minutes, in addition to the workbook exercises.

I'm sure others will chime in, as well. :001_smile:

I love CLE Language Arts! It gently builds up skills while always reviewing older skills. Because of the review, you can jump in easily. We originally jumped in at the 400 level and 700 level for my two ds with no problem. At these levels, it's designed to be indendent.

I like the spelling lists in this program. For one ds, the daily exercises they give are enough for him to learn his words. For my other ds, they are not. Using a dry erase board, I pretest him on the words, and then we do daily focused practice together on his missed words for about 5 minutes, in addition to the workbook exercises.

I'm sure others will chime in, as well. :001_smile:

Thank you for responding! I am surprised that there hasn't been more responses!

What do you think about the writing instruction? I am wondering about the 700 level.

We use CLE Language Arts, but not Reading. I love it, and my students are doing well with it. We just completed level 100 (with my struggling-to-read 8 year-old) and level 400 with my right-on-target 4th grader. I had them take the placement tests before ordering those levels. The 400 level was mostly independent, but there were certainly times when my son needed additional explanations. It was also our first year with diagramming.

The spelling is okay, but it's not rules-based. Both of my boys have a horrible time with spelling and I supplement the CLE spelling with a rules-based program. I strongly suspect my two younger children will not need additional supplements.

The writing is just right, IMO. Both of my boys have a strong aversion to writing and there is just enough in CLE to not discourage them. In level 100, my son drew a picture, colored it, then wrote a few sentences about it. He did this exercise (called creative writing) several times throughout the school year.

In level 400, my son wrote a one-page research paper, some poetry, a friendly letter, paragraph summaries of different stories, outlined and took notes on an essay. It's not what I would call intense, but I like that CLE spent significant time in the 400 level teaching the student to use efficient vocabulary, and to write clear sentences.

You can check out the Scope & Sequence on the CLE website and take the free placement test. The S&S will tell you how much writing is involved in different levels.

Best wishes!

I've used it through grade 7. You should except to not know some things if you jump in after diagramming etc. has been introduced. However, you can review missed topics if you have the CLE English Handbook or just keep going. The continuous review should make topics solid in time.

Spelling - it is fine for visual learners. My children learned to spell mostly by recognizing words they have read. If you need an explicit rules based program beyond 2nd grade approx. you should supplement.

Writing - I like the writing assignments in CLE and the CLE Writer's Handbook. However, you should supplement writing as well.

There is nothing better for grammar imo, and since it integrates spelling and penmanship for my kids - it is a great timesaver as well.