Menu

Librivox - Our Island Story by Marshall?

MeganW

The reader, Kara Shallenberg is my favorite reader so far on Librivox. But it really is a matter of opinion, so you might have to listen and decide for yourself. But she is a good (technically speaking) reader and easy to understand. We've run across a couple Librivox readers with accents that we found difficult (or at least my kids found difficult) to understand clearly!

As a whole, we have had good luck with Librivox. We just did the Burgess Bird Book, though, and there are different readers for each chapter. Some are great, but several were terrible. One in particular sounded like he was just learning to read, stumbling over words. One is speaking 10 feet away from the mike. Etc. etc.

So I hated to download this whole new book and waste all those CDs without getting an opinion! As long as the reader speaks proper English and pauses appropriately and so on, I can deal. We are planning to use a lot of this book, though, so if she wasn't decent I was going to buy the professional one from Amazon. But there aren't reviews on that, either, so...

Based on the samples, I much prefer the one from Amazon produced by Naxos. I've gotten a couple of their recordings and found them to be good quality. Plus, I feel like if the story is British (especially dealing with British history), it makes more sense for the reader to have a British accent. Of course, as I've mentioned, I'm extremely picky. :tongue_smilie: Free is good, too.

Oh, and it looks like the Amazon version has several CDs that make up the whole book. If you want them all together, make sure it's the "complete" version, or get all 3 of the different segments. BTW, The Book Depository has CDs 1 & 3 for a combined total of just over $35 with free shipping, which is cheaper than Amazon.

Edited by Aurelia