Menu

Anyone here a fan of S. Lem?

The "worst movie" thread made me realize there was an English version of Solaris! (I suspect I'm glad I missed it).

I have met so many interesting people over Lem....I used to carry a book of his when I lived in NYC and people would actually come talk to me. Everyone single one of them was from another country...China, Italy, Russia, etc. A few years later I had a Polish intern working under me, and I wrote Lem a letter telling him about all the people I met because I was carrying one of his books, and my intern translated it and I mailed it to him!

My favourite is His Master's Voice, followed by More Tales of Pirx the Pilot.

[quote name=Kay in Cal;355852

So' date=' what are the books like?

He varies all over the map, but science in a fictional book have much to do with most.

His Imaginary Magnitudes is a book of reviews of books that don't exist.

Pirx and More Pirx are about the realities of space travel.

His Master's Voice is about a secret camp in the US where many scientists are working on a repeating code "found" in the background noise from space.

Chain of Chance is about an ex-space pilot asked to follow in the footsteps of several middle aged, balding men who die in Italy, to figure out if it was murders or accidents.

The Star Diaries and the Futurological Congress are comedy.

One Human Minute is a philosophical essay.

Etc. You can read the mostly rave reviews on Amazon. Worldwide, he is the most famous "sci-fi" writer, and the only "sci-fi" I like.