Menu

Grammar 2nd grade

mhaddon

We have used R&S our entire time homeschooling (oldest will be in 6th). I love it; my oldest hates it. But, that being said, she knows so much! Every year they cover the same topics, but dive deeper into them. The repetition is great. We use the worksheets and the test booklets too.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Marsha

I wish I could see rod and staff a little better. We are using the reading and spelling so I should just go ahead... sometimes it is way too much seatwork for my son. Ok I know it is because he can't sit still :glare:. I have FLL 1 and he's halfway through and an auditory learner so I thought it would work, but didn't stick. He can recite the poems, and what a noun is (most days). But the concept on paper is gone. Maybe it will come one day??

I'd recommend Easy Grammar 2nd grade and Daily Language Review 2nd grade. Maybe even Daily Language Review 1st grade paired with Easy Grammar 2nd if you're not sure of his level---that would give a spiral approach. I've had a chance to look at a MCT book --Island??--and I'd say as a read aloud it could totally be a good supplement for a 2nd grader.

Nothing beats Schoolhouse Rock imho for kiddos who are auditory. ;)

This is going to sound strange, because generally I do not care for school-y, textbooky resources, but I love Voyage in English (Loyola Press) grammar & writing for first grade & second grade. Both are consumable work texts and the teacher's guide is not at all necessary. They are very reasonably priced and just the perfect amount of challenge for that age. It addresses both grammar and writing (using a writer's workshop format). My daughters have all done them and it seemed to be a great launch pad for further study (in later grades). I didn't care for FLL 1 & 2, and R&S was much too religious for me, so VIE it was. It is produced by a Catholic press, but is secular. If I remember correctly, Rainbow Resource carries it but I got a better price directly through the publisher. Worth checking both, however.

I don't think grammar is required for second grade. I've used programs that aren't really rigorous because some of the concepts seem a little abstract at that age. I used Galore Park Junior English (Jr English 1 is the second grade level) which covered grammar plus vocabulary and dictionary use among other things. Really, the main things to cover are punctuation (capital letters, end marks, introduce comma and apostrophe use), nouns and verbs. You can add adjectives and adverbs, though you can also easily wait on that, too.