Menu

French advice please!

Hello all,

I've asked about French recently, and here it goes again...

I think we have two options regarding French. Dd has had close to 4 yrs of French (private tutor) but there may be a few holes, and the tutor may not be available for next yr.

I could have her take French 1 and 2 at the community college for next yr (10th grade) but, they don't offer any French 3 (or 4 for that matter). This may be too easy for her (which could give her a breather), and it is 1 hour 15 min drive one way. If we choose this, then what about French 3?

Continue with the tutor (if available), but have the tutor use a standard French program? If so, which program?

By the way, she did a few questions on the SAT subject test and got the easy questions correct, but most of the moderate-type questions wrong.

This is a science/math gal.

Please help me. I am really struggling with this!

I think the answer depends on what she wants to do with the French. Does she needs it for college applications but not planning on doing anything with it once she's in college? Will her college have a foreign language requirement that she is (or is not) interested in fulfilling? Does she need to take a standardized test? Does she want to be able to speak French? Write French? Why? How motivated is she? Are her current skills mostly conversational or was she taught writing and grammar as well?

That sounds like an awfully long commute to me for French classes that might be a repeat of what she knows already and stops after 2. If I were you, I would look for another way. What about some sort of online classes plus that tutor (or another one) for extra conversational practice? I think I remember hearing hive members speak highly of the Potter school classes? A board search might tell you. There are other online options, also. You could look and see if there are online options that go beyond French 2 at a different community college. Beware, though - online classes are sometimes difficult to manage. Check and see what you are getting for your money, as well. My sons had Rosetta Stone at college as their only foreign language option. You could also find some workbooks to fill in the grammar and writing part and use the tutor for listening and conversation. Is the tutor good? Can the tutor suggest something? If you have a specific goal in mind (like the French SAT II) in mind, it might help the tutor to know what to do next with your daughter. The other option would be to try to find Saturday classes. We have struggled through French on our own some years and with a tutor some years. It goes much faster if you have a good tutor or class.

Not sure any of that is much help but at least it will bump the thread for you.

Nan

Is she a good independent learner? I think a textbook-based approach, maybe buying Breaking the Barrier in multiple levels or French Subject test prep books, etc. where she can quickly move through things she doesn't need and slow down where there are holes might work well.

If money is a problem, you might try Francais Interactif from University of Texas. It is a college-level french 1 = high school French 1 and 2, but it has a lot more grammar and vocabulary, and would definitely help you find and fill in holes. (I found it too intimidating for my DD--too much information packed into each chapter--but yours has four years experience in French.)

Here is the link to UT french http://www.laits.utexas.edu/fi/