Menu

What is AAS spelling?

KIN

I'm very pleased with All About Spelling. I'm using it with my ds(9) who was a late reader due to vision issues.

It's laid out well so it's easy to teach. My ds actually likes it. :) It teaches spelling rules and reviews enough for the student to remember them.

If you put magnets on the letter tiles, you don't have to use handwriting if that is a problem area.

I highly recommend it.

Hopping onto this thread. I am trying to decide between AAS and Phonic Zoo for ds 11 who is an almost non-functioning speller.

Any reviews?

I just typed out a sort of review for a post by KIN. Here is what I wrote:

I've got to swear by All About Spelling. I've tried a workbook format, a word wall/lists format, and a second workbook format. Dd is a hands-on learner and those letter tiles that she can get her hands on, along with the rules and format of AAS finally clicked for her.

We do spelling every day for about 15 minutes. If I remember without getting up and finding the book from last year we did a week looked like this:

Monday - introduce the rule and the new spelling words

Tuesday - practice spelling with the letter tiles (10 words)

Wednesday - practice spelling with the letter tiles (10 more words)

Thursday - practice on paper

Friday - spelling test

A couple times a year we pull out the review cards and review everything to date. Toward the end of the year that took a bit more than 15 minutes. During review time I used the entire week to check on retention of the rules, words, letter sounds, pretty much everything she had learned.

The last week of the year I gave dd a 5 day test. 35 words a day for 4 days and the last day was a rule test. She only got one word wrong. It was a proud moment for me since she struggled for so long with spelling.

Hope this helps some.