Menu

Walking/Running shoes - HELP!!

I just started walking/jogging and my old shoes are literally falling apart. I've only ever bought shoes from Payless or someplace similar because I only used them to run errands and such.

I'd like to get some actual good walking shoes, but I don't have a ton of money to spend. If you have any pointers, hints, etc. on how what sort of shoes I should get and where to get them, I'd love to hear!!

Definitely go to a running store. They should check your gait, or look at the bottom of your shoes, to see how you wear your shoes. You should be allowed to run in them either on a treadmill or around the block. See what feels best.

They will be able to tell you how to best support your foot!

Definitely go to a running store. They should check your gait, or look at the bottom of your shoes, to see how you wear your shoes. You should be allowed to run in them either on a treadmill or around the block. See what feels best.

They will be able to tell you how to best support your foot!

:iagree: Everyone's best shoe is different. I run barefoot or in FiveFingers, my husband runs in a more structured shoe.

I will say that, while they will look at your gait, etc, the emphasis should be on the "see what feels best" part. I've had crazy running store people tell me they wouldn't put me in anything smaller than a 10.5 (I wear an 8.5 - 9, depending on the shoe), try to convince me I have low arches (I don't.), wide feet (AA), and need super stability. Stability shoes caused lasting ankle, knee and hip pain the first time I ran in them.

Go with what feels good. (and, frankly, if bargain shoes from Payless feel good, then great.)

:iagree: Everyone's best shoe is different. I run barefoot or in FiveFingers, my husband runs in a more structured shoe.

I will say that, while they will look at your gait, etc, the emphasis should be on the "see what feels best" part. I've had crazy running store people tell me they wouldn't put me in anything smaller than a 10.5 (I wear an 8.5 - 9, depending on the shoe), try to convince me I have low arches (I don't.), wide feet (AA), and need super stability. Stability shoes caused lasting ankle, knee and hip pain the first time I ran in them.

Go with what feels good. (and, frankly, if bargain shoes from Payless feel good, then great.)

This. A popular running shoe company here put me in a pair of shoes I hated. This was after "analyzing" my gait on a treadmill and with a video camera.