Menu

Cross post: The Disappearing Spoon

It's been awhile since I read it but I really enjoyed it (with the understanding that you're getting this reply from a chem geek :D). Can't remember anything wildly inappropriate but, like I say, it's been awhile.

Depending on how much chem your 15yo has taken, some of the explanations might be a bit heavy (particularly the organic chem ones) but if basic chem has already been covered, you should be good to go. (Not to say the book couldn't be read by someone with no previous chem knowledge but they might get bogged down quickly and lose interest - kwim? ;))

I also enjoyed Napoleon's Buttons and The Poisoner's Handbook: Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York. That last one is probably meant for a more mature audience (given it's subject matter) but is also a fascinating read dealing with the chemistry behind old-old-school forensics. They also go into detail concerning prohibition and the chem behind all the "alternatives" people found - scary stuff!

John Emsley is another author you could look at. I haven't read anything of his but they're on my wishlist at Amazon. :D I'm particularly wanting to get a hold of Molecules At an Exhibition and The 13th Element.

It's been awhile since I read it but I really enjoyed it (with the understanding that you're getting this reply from a chem geek :D). Can't remember anything wildly inappropriate but, like I say, it's been awhile.

Depending on how much chem your 15yo has taken, some of the explanations might be a bit heavy (particularly the organic chem ones) but if basic chem has already been covered, you should be good to go. (Not to say the book couldn't be read by someone with no previous chem knowledge but they might get bogged down quickly and lose interest - kwim? ;))

I also enjoyed Napoleon's Buttons and The Poisoner's Handbook: Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York. That last one is probably meant for a more mature audience (given it's subject matter) but is also a fascinating read dealing with the chemistry behind old-old-school forensics. They also go into detail concerning prohibition and the chem behind all the "alternatives" people found - scary stuff!

John Emsley is another author you could look at. I haven't read anything of his but they're on my wishlist at Amazon. :D I'm particularly wanting to get a hold of Molecules At an Exhibition and The 13th Element.

:lurk5:

These all look good. I am looking for books ds can read about chemistry that are not "school" books. I will have to have him read about these and pick one or two, or three. This year we are reading about chemistry, basic info but some histories behind the science too. Next year he will do lab work (half credit each year).