Menu

Teaching Co. Joy of Science & Geometry Course

Hi everyone,

Would the Joy of Science course be a way to spark interest in science for my non-science oriented 8th gr. dd? Would it be a good supplemental course to watch throughout the year?

I am also interested in the Geometry course. I am wondering if it could be used in tandem with Videotext, our current Algebra program. Would it be worth it to get this, or should I just stick with a standard Geometry program?

My dd will be going to ps in two years for 10th gr., where she will take a full Geometry course. I was just hoping to give her a solid background in Algebra, along with a basic foundation in Geometry.

Thanks! :001_smile:

....incredibly BORING! We were trying them out in conjunction with the Jacob's text and the tapes were not even good review for us: way too much repitition!! Of course, my dc are not especially audio learners and really "got it" from just reading the text. If your student is also this way, I also think the tapes would not stand alone as a good intro if she did no corresponding work on paper.

If you want just a rudimentary intro to Geometry, you might look at a simple and fun construction-based course like the Key to Geometry series. My dd used this for a while and it was a lot of fun for her. The student needs a compass, a protractor, and a straight edge to draw all sorts of goemetric figures. What she learns is mostly vocabulary and some intuitive facts, but even the students in the classical world had to be skilled with these instruments. So, it might be just enough of a supplement to add to a fairly busy schedule. Also, learning Algebra seems to take a lot of brain energy for lots of students. If your student is not like this however, and gets Algebra easily, then perhaps doing Jacob's Geometry concurrently would not be too much to ask of her.

HTH,

TerriKY

We bought the TC Geometry (h.s. level) a year ago, but have never used them. I would guess that they would primarily be supplemental.

As far as "The Joy of Science", that is one of the Teaching Company courses I've always wanted to buy, because I've read some very good things about it on these forums. However, I'm sorry to say I have no personal experience with them---I've just "heard" that they're good!

Sorry to not be of more help!

My son used the Geometry program. FWIW, he enjoyed it and learned a lot. He did do the workbook that came with the videos. He had worked through NEM 3A (Singapore) and was on track to take concurrent college courses the next semester. So...knowing that he had not completed Geometry through NEM 4A (which handles geometry like Saxon - integrating it over the years) I had him do the TTC program and called it a geometry credit. I doubt that it was as complete as a full year of Jacobs or some other program, but it was enough. His highest subsection score on the math section of the ACT was for geometry - go figure :-). He went on to take concurrent college level trig. and calculus (without any problems).

I think it's definitely possible to use in tandem with algebra. If you're just hoping to get a boost before her high school geometry class, it would definitely work. But like the other poster said, Keys to Geometry would probably work, too.

We did have some e-mail interaction with the professor and he was very helpful. Can you rent/check out the videos at your local library? For your use, I don't know that it would be worth the $$ to purchase them.

My son used the Geometry program. FWIW, he enjoyed it and learned a lot. He did do the workbook that came with the videos. He had worked through NEM 3A (Singapore) and was on track to take concurrent college courses the next semester. So...knowing that he had not completed Geometry through NEM 4A (which handles geometry like Saxon - integrating it over the years) I had him do the TTC program and called it a geometry credit. I doubt that it was as complete as a full year of Jacobs or some other program, but it was enough. His highest subsection score on the math section of the ACT was for geometry - go figure :-). He went on to take concurrent college level trig. and calculus (without any problems).

I think it's definitely possible to use in tandem with algebra. If you're just hoping to get a boost before her high school geometry class, it would definitely work. But like the other poster said, Keys to Geometry would probably work, too.

We did have some e-mail interaction with the professor and he was very helpful. Can you rent/check out the videos at your local library? For your use, I don't know that it would be worth the $$ to purchase them.

Thank you, Cynthia. :001_smile: I remember speaking to you a looong time ago about NEM for my older dd. She ended up going to ps in 10th gr., so we never used it. I just thought it might be nice to have the Geometry presented on video, since we are using Videotext for Algebra. She will have Geometry in 10th gr. I was just trying to give her exposure and familiarity with the subject, and not necessarily a full one-year course like Jacob's, etc.

We bought the TC Geometry (h.s. level) a year ago, but have never used them. I would guess that they would primarily be supplemental.

As far as "The Joy of Science", that is one of the Teaching Company courses I've always wanted to buy, because I've read some very good things about it on these forums. However, I'm sorry to say I have no personal experience with them---I've just "heard" that they're good!

Sorry to not be of more help!

Thank you, Michelle. :001_smile:

....incredibly BORING! We were trying them out in conjunction with the Jacob's text and the tapes were not even good review for us: way too much repitition!! Of course, my dc are not especially audio learners and really "got it" from just reading the text. If your student is also this way, I also think the tapes would not stand alone as a good intro if she did no corresponding work on paper.

If you want just a rudimentary intro to Geometry, you might look at a simple and fun construction-based course like the Key to Geometry series. My dd used this for a while and it was a lot of fun for her. The student needs a compass, a protractor, and a straight edge to draw all sorts of goemetric figures. What she learns is mostly vocabulary and some intuitive facts, but even the students in the classical world had to be skilled with these instruments. So, it might be just enough of a supplement to add to a fairly busy schedule. Also, learning Algebra seems to take a lot of brain energy for lots of students. If your student is not like this however, and gets Algebra easily, then perhaps doing Jacob's Geometry concurrently would not be too much to ask of her.

HTH,

TerriKY

I tried some of the Key to... books w/my dd and she did not like them for some reason. I don't remember why.

Guest Laura in CT

Lisa, we used the Joy of Science one year for our science course when my dd was in, I think, 11th grade. We used the textbook the lecturer wrote to accompany the course. My dd did not like science, and I regret to say that the course didn't spark any interest at all. My then 13 yo son watched the lectures as well and really enjoyed them; he often offered explanations to his big sister--but he likes science. I wouldn't predict with any certainty that your dd won't like them, but I do offer our experience for what it's worth.

Lisa, we used the Joy of Science one year for our science course when my dd was in, I think, 11th grade. We used the textbook the lecturer wrote to accompany the course. My dd did not like science, and I regret to say that the course didn't spark any interest at all. My then 13 yo son watched the lectures as well and really enjoyed them; he often offered explanations to his big sister--but he likes science. I wouldn't predict with any certainty that your dd won't like them, but I do offer our experience for what it's worth.

Hi Laura!! :seeya: It is *so* nice to see you here!

I ended up buying the Geometry course, and the Geology course last night. I want to do an Earth Science course w/my dd next year. My dh has his Master's in Geology, so I'm sure he can help us if we don't understand something. :001_smile: Thank you for your helpful input.

We used both, and the Joy of Science was a definite hit, but that may be because we really like the material and the instructor, Robert Hazen was incredible. However, the Geometry was rather dry and after about 8 lectures we dropped it, because it still hadn't covered anything new. But that was just our experience...

We used both, and the Joy of Science was a definite hit, but that may be because we really like the material and the instructor, Robert Hazen was incredible. However, the Geometry was rather dry and after about 8 lectures we dropped it, because it still hadn't covered anything new. But that was just our experience...

I just purchased Geometry. It is going to serve as an introductory course for my dd, since she will be studying Geometry in 10th gr. when she goes to ps. I am hoping that it will give her at least a familiarity with the subject. I guess boring is okay if it explains things well. Thank you for you input. :001_smile: