Menu

Glass (screen?) doors?

My husband likes that American Pickers show. He pointed out to me that all the people have glass doors in front of their front door. We have never seen that (from the west coast) and we were wondering if that is something people always have in the midwest and their purpose. We have screen doors, but they let in air and sound, whereas a glass door wouldn't. So it is like you have two doors? I told him I would ask you guys what the deal is with a double front door. :)

My husband likes that American Pickers show. He pointed out to me that all the people have glass doors in front of their front door. We have never seen that (from the west coast) and we were wondering if that is something people always have in the midwest and their purpose. We have screen doors, but they let in air and sound, whereas a glass door wouldn't. So it is like you have two doors? I told him I would ask you guys what the deal is with a double front door. :)

I don't know the show you're referring too, but it sounds like you mean storm doors. They serve the same purpose as storm windows -- energy efficiency. Keeping the cold weather out, for the most part. Often you can take the glass part out in the summer, turning it into a screen door.

I grew up in the south and we had a glass door (instead of a screen). I think they may be called storm doors.

I now live in the midwest and we have the same thing.

I believe the glass acts as an insulator so you can have your front door open for light or to see out but you're not letting the heat or air out or in.

Most doors are sold with glass but also come with a screen so you can switch them out.