Menu

Need World/American History Help.......I'm thinking Spielvogel, but am open

My son is going into 10th grade.

He did no history for 9th grade (lots of extra curric activities)

He needs American History and World History to graduate

I own Human Odyssey with study guide and Western Civ both by Spielvogel.

My son is not a big reader (he must have been switched at birth with my real child) and is more science oriented so I'm trying to not make this too complicated. I have TOG but realized that for this child it would be way too complicated for him. He seems to prefer and do better with texts.

So, would Human Odyssey be an appropriate text for 10th grade if I'm not necessarily trying to stretch him too much???

Also would both of these texts be considered "World History" on a transcript??

Any and all suggestions or ideas are welcome.......

I agree with Jean, you need something else for American History. Unfortunately, there's not a lot out there (imho).

I like Paul Johnson's "History of the American People" but it is long and written on an adult level.

There is a high school textbook (gasp) which was authored/edited by Daniel Boorstein, former Librarian of Congress and also the author of the more logic level American History book Sonlight uses in Years 3 & 4. This is a great textbook and should be generally easily available used. I don't think there is a current edition.

Kate in Seattle

I agree with Jean, you need something else for American History. Unfortunately, there's not a lot out there (imho).

I like Paul Johnson's "History of the American People" but it is long and written on an adult level.

There is a high school textbook (gasp) which was authored/edited by Daniel Boorstein, former Librarian of Congress and also the author of the more logic level American History book Sonlight uses in Years 3 & 4. This is a great textbook and should be generally easily available used. I don't think there is a current edition.

Kate in Seattle

This is the book we use for high school American History. Both of my children who have used it enjoyed it a lot. FWIW.

J