Menu

What are your favorite spelling activities?

kandty

My boys are hands on and my goal for spelling was to get a list of spelling activities for them to work on during spelling time. This should be easy since one of them uses Spelling Power and there is a ton of activities suggested in there. But, I find many boring and I don't get the point. (I still haven't gone through all of them yet. :blushing:) We will have a container with sand or corn meal to write spelling words. I also have tiles they can use to build the words. Anyone have any other suggestions?

My daughter used to do rainbow words in public school. Basically the words were typed in dotted line font onto paper and they traced each word with crayons in the colors of the rainbow. So they ended up going over each word 7 times and it looked pretty to them. I am bringing that back this coming year. I plan to let her use magnet letters on my whiteboard. We will also do sidewalk chalk and possibly shaving cream (if I can bring myself), in addition to the sand container. I also want to pick up some letter stamps.

Guest geofizz

Tic tac toe with a spelling word instead of an x or o

Finger spell in ASL the words (especially good for feeling spelling patterns)

Hangman

Jump rope spelling the word with one letter per jump

Hop scotch with letters of the word in squares

Make up a cross word puzzle from the list

Color code the letters in the word -- either put the target spelling pattern in a different color, or put the vowels in a different color, or each syllable...

For my very active daughter, we put her spelling list on the opposite wall. She had to run to the wall and read the first word, then run back to her seat and write it. She would continue down through the list, and then check all her spelling words with the posted list.

AL