Menu

~South Carolina~

We live in Germany but are moving to the Charleston area in late summer.  I think I have a grasp on the Option 3 business but would love some links or at the very least some names of some support/co-op groups in the local area.  I have done as much googling as I can but I know some groups might not be as well advertised on the internet as others.  We are Catholic but our homeschooling is secular.  We are striving for a classical/LCC style but since my children are young we're mostly just laid back eclectic learners for now focusing mostly on SWR, CF and LOF.  Not quite sure where we will end up living but most people have recommended Mt Pleasant so we'll probably be in that area if that matters.  I have 3 kids under 7.  

Dianna, does have a good group for us Carolinians. We need more people on it. I know closer to Charleston, you'll get people that are more outside the box and there are field trip groups, etc. The Option 3 Catholic Association is called Our Lady of Perpetual Help (and they just opened up to non-Catholics also...but they were a blessing to us as Orthodox moving into the state), however, their group meetups are held Upstate. There are Catholics down here that homeschool, I don't know how many. At Home in the Lowcountry is another Option 3 Association that does not require you to fit into any particular faith paradigm. I believe Carolina Homeschooler is also open. If you choose to live in Mt. Pleasant, you'll be in a nice suburbian type of environment, close to the city, and should have more opportunity than those of us out in the boondocks. It's more expensive living over there. If you want something a bit more in the middle (not small town, but not expensive and too close to the city), look at Summerville. It's a very nice area, small town feel with more than a small town offers and still a hop skip to the city without being on top of it.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We live in Germany but are moving to the Charleston area in late summer.  I think I have a grasp on the Option 3 business but would love some links or at the very least some names of some support/co-op groups in the local area.  I have done as much googling as I can but I know some groups might not be as well advertised on the internet as others.  We are Catholic but our homeschooling is secular.  We are striving for a classical/LCC style but since my children are young we're mostly just laid back eclectic learners for now focusing mostly on SWR, CF and LOF.  Not quite sure where we will end up living but most people have recommended Mt Pleasant so we'll probably be in that area if that matters.  I have 3 kids under 7.  

I meant to add, feel free to friend me on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/carolinahomeschooler

And join us on our message boards at http://www.carolinahomeschooler.com/social/

Warmly,

Dianna

• 2 months later...

We are moving to Columbia this summer and I have questions regarding Kindergarten.

I understand that kindergarten is compulsory and the deadline to "enroll" is age 5 on September 1. My youngest son will miss that deadline by a few days. His birthday is September 13.

Do I have to either record keep for him or sign the waiver for him this year or do I get to wait one more year since he will not be 5 by the deadline?