Menu

SOTW with CHOW and VOS

TN Mama

OK, so my plan was to schedule these three together, but I'm starting to wonder if we'll get it all done. I don't want to cram too much into our studies and have burn out settle in with dd (and with me!). Have any of you used the schedule for SOTW, CHOW and the Vos Bible story Bible? I'd love to hear your thoughts as to why you did or did not choose to use the combo.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

OK, so my plan was to schedule these three together, but I'm starting to wonder if we'll get it all done. I don't want to cram too much into our studies and have burn out settle in with dd (and with me!). Have any of you used the schedule for SOTW, CHOW and the Vos Bible story Bible? I'd love to hear your thoughts as to why you did or did not choose to use the combo.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

I'm using the schedule at Paula's Archives for SOTW and CHOW. It also includes the Vos Bible Story Book but I use Egermeier's instead. I'm doing it because we enjoy it. We read alot and we like to do history almost every day. I've been reading a chunk from CHOW and then I go back and read the chapters in SOTW that coordinate with those in another chunk. I mean, I don't use one book one day and another book the other day. I spend several days in one and then go to the other. CHOW is good for introducing the info. and SOTW serves as a more detailed reinforcement.

I guess that's my only reason... we enjoy it and no, it's not too much for us.

Hi, Laura!

I wanted to add that with the ages of your children, you could use either CHOW or SOTW and be fine! There is no good reason to do both if you think it may be too much. My sons are three years apart in age so using the two together kind of makes me feel like I'm bumping it up just a little for my oldest without leaving the youngest in the dust!

I do think that adding the Bible stories to either SOTW or CHOW is a very nice addition, but if using both SOTW and CHOW together seem like too much, then it's not worth it! Your little ones are so young. Either one is PLENTY sufficient.

Have fun!

I wouldn't do both. I just don't think it makes sense -- and I like both CHOW *and* SOTW. CHOW is fabulous for a quick one-year race through world history. If you want to give your children an overview of history, it's wonderful. But because it packs all of human history into a year's worth of material, it necessarily doesn't go very deep. Spreading it out over four years (as you would do to match it up to SOTW) doesn't make much sense to me. SOTW takes a much slower pace and covers world history over four years. If you want to go in more depth, it's a great way to go.

We found we'd covered the material in the first three SOTWs in a rather haphazard way with ds -- some SOTW, some outside classes... He'd had a lot of exposure to history, but much of it (through various accidents) was all over the timeline. So we took a year off and did CHOW to sort of bring it all together. That worked great for us, and CHOW is one of ds' favorite books. The next time through a history cycle, he'll use SOTW and Kingfisher together...

Also, I know some people try to make Vos match up with their ancient history readings. I prefer just to do Bible separately, and then just point out the overlaps...