Menu

Critical thinking? You mean they have to think in school..

I went to look over the testing for next year for my son and noticed that most of the reading is critical thinking. Yet, I looked at my new books for next year and nothing involves critical thinking. I come to you, the Hive, and ask you what I can use to teach my ninth grader this concept. I couldn't believe how much thought even I had to put into the few questions that I read on the test. Thank you ahead of time for all your input.:)

CAn you incorporate critical thinking into your other subject areas instead of treating it as a separate subject?

I am not sure exactly. This is new to me. I didn't even know this was taught at such a level. The few people I have talked to have been surprised as well. I thought this was more a college class but hey what do I know,lol.

If you look at traditional school-type teacher materials, there will be resources for higher level thinking and critical analysis activities and lesson elements. It is expected (by the state standard writers) that teachers weave these into their lessons in all subjects, although it varies greatly as to how much that is actually done.

Have you read The Well Trained Mind? There are lots of great suggestions there.

I did look at the WTM book. What I came across said that they won't recommend a book but they do as fhjmom suggested and use it throughout every subject. I understand the concept. Instead of looking at a problem and just finding out the answer they want the way to the problem. Why does this work? Honestly I don't remember learning anything like that in school. Then again when I was in school they told you to do a multiplication problem such as 452 times 62 exactly as it is written. In ps the kids I used to babysit were required to multiply 400 times one, then 50 times 60, and finally 2 times 2. Once they added that together they were able to get their answer. Why do they require that now I just don't get. So much work.:tongue_smilie:

If you look at traditional school-type teacher materials, there will be resources for higher level thinking and critical analysis activities and lesson elements. It is expected (by the state standard writers) that teachers weave these into their lessons in all subjects, although it varies greatly as to how much that is actually done.

From my reading up on the subject, I found that this is started in grade 7-8. I used to get the ps books along with the ones I purchase so that I could make sure I was covering what was being covered in regards to english and arithmetic. Once my son reach 7th they no longer were able or willing to give me those books. The language books along with the reading curriculum he has been learning does have some critical thinking based upon stories he reads or passages but nothing as in depth as they required in the test I was looking over.