Menu

English/LA 2nd Grade

Thia

We have been using Abeka so far, but I admit to not being impressed with the writing program. The TM would say the child should write a story about xyz, but give no guidelines as to how long it should be or anything! It drove me crazy. It didn't really help me teach them how to write well. So I browsed on over to BJU to look at their materials. Their second grade English program looks to be a bit better. I compared this to the Abeka Scope and Sequence. I see information on nouns/verbs etc as well as how to write letters, creative writing etc.

SO...has anyone actually been able to get their hands on both programs and tell me which seems to be more informative? Also, would it be a problem to switch from Abeka to BJU for English? I'm already not following Abeka's reading program, but using book lists from SL and others.

We have been using Abeka so far, but I admit to not being impressed with the writing program. The TM would say the child should write a story about xyz, but give no guidelines as to how long it should be or anything! It drove me crazy. It didn't really help me teach them how to write well. So I browsed on over to BJU to look at their materials. Their second grade English program looks to be a bit better. I compared this to the Abeka Scope and Sequence. I see information on nouns/verbs etc as well as how to write letters, creative writing etc.

SO...has anyone actually been able to get their hands on both programs and tell me which seems to be more informative? Also, would it be a problem to switch from Abeka to BJU for English? I'm already not following Abeka's reading program, but using book lists from SL and others.

ABeka's writing instruction is just not great, and it beats grammar to death. BJUP is better as far as writing; the grammar is good, but I'm not a fan of the way BJUP has children label the parts of speech.

You shouldn't have any problems going from one to the other.

For myself, though, I'd choose Rod and Staff Publishers. :)