Menu

If you've used Chalkdust throught Calculus...

I asked a question about Trig a week or so again and now there's another question on the board about it. This has left me wondering....;)

If you have used Chalkdust all the way through, did you do their trig course and their pre-calc course before moving onto calculus? I don't want to waste the time and $$ on trig by itself if it's not necessary.

I seem to hear others saying that trig should be a part of alg 2 or of pre-calc. I'd love some input from some Chalkdust users.:)

Thanks for any insight you may be able to offer!:bigear:

Thanks for the quick response, Caroline.:)

I think we may have answered our own question. I looked at the course outline for both trig and pre-calc on the Chalkdust site and it looks like virtually every topic covered in the trig book is also included in the pre-calc book. Chalkdust should be at our state convention next weekend so I'll ask them, too.

That leads to my next question, though. How am I going to handle this on his transcript? We've been doing alg. 2 during the spring and summer which will go on the 10th grade section of his transcript. But, he'll now be taking pre-calc during the 10th grade school year. Can I list both of these for 10th grade--alg. 2 and pre-calc.--and give him two full math credits during one grade level? He'll then do calculus in 11th grade.

Thanks for any help!

Hi,

I called Chalkdust with this question last year. They told me that Precalc was a semester of Trig and beginning calculus. If you plan on taking Precaulus you shouldn't take the trig course; it would be redundant.

Cindy

Hi,

I called Chalkdust with this question last year. They told me that Precalc was a semester of Trig and beginning calculus. If you plan on taking Precaulus you shouldn't take the trig course; it would be redundant.

Cindy

Thank you for the confirmation, Cindy!

I don't see any problems with giving him two full math credits in one year of high school. Since many public schools have gone to a block schedule, their students can earn two math credits in a year, so it wouldn't even look odd. I had a senior who had to earn four math credits this year.

I don't see any problems with giving him two full math credits in one year of high school. Since many public schools have gone to a block schedule, their students can earn two math credits in a year, so it wouldn't even look odd. I had a senior who had to earn four math credits this year.

Thank you!!:)