Menu

Teach me about Lapbooks!!

mommyto4QT

How old are your kids? I've seen some olders use them, and if you or they are craftily inclined you can do some fun stuff, but most of the pre-existing ones are set up for preK-early elementary ages. In its most basic form, you refold a manila folder so the edges meet in the middle, glue on some cover art and then fill the inside with a variety of activities based on a theme. I've done a couple with my 3yo while my older two are doing seat work. Check out the ones at HomeschoolShare. You will see that they are often used with the curriculum Before Five In a Row. Find a book you are interested in, download the lapbook file, and then there are assembly instructions with the activities and you can pick the ones you are interested in. The best thing is to try it, it is tricky to envision until you do. :001_smile:

If you have older kids and are using Story of the World, there is a great lapbook for book 1 and most of 2 here. My older dc have been putting that together and it is great for review both as we assemble it (a few weeks after the fact) and when relatives come and they pull it out to show them.

We also do a composer study one once in a while. It is from Homeschool in the Woods and it has a TON of information. We work on it once a month or so and it will take at least another year before we finish.

I think whether it is "educational or fun" really depends more on whether you enjoy it and what you decide to do with it. For us, it would be a stretch to call it educational, more like review. If it were always fun it would get done more often, BUT I guess we like it enough that we keep going. :) Also, I will mention that there is a variety of opinions about how much work (if any) the adult should do. My dc need me to cut it all out if it is going to get done, but some feel differently. You can do whatever is right for your family.

It depends on your kids, you and how crafty you are as to how educational they are, IMO. We've done lapbooks but have moved on to notebooking, though I like to incorporate some lapbook elements in the notebook. Could I be more vague? ;)

Here are some examples from my blog:

Earthquake Lapbook

Volcano and Da Vinci Lapbooks

4th Grade Notebook

HTH!

My kids like doing them, but we only fit them in occasionally. What we've done the past few years is to call December lapbook month. Everyone chooses a topic (holiday related or otherwise) and we spend our school time making lapbooks.

We have tried a bunch, but it's too much clutter for me! All that cutting/ gluing/ throwing away of scraps/ storing the finished product drives me a bit nuts.

I do have to say that its a great way to review material, though! They are a great visual reminder of what you have studied. My dc like to show them to relatives, which then prompts further review :001_smile:. So I guess I have a love, hate relationship with lapbooks.