Menu

Your favorite (and least favorite) children's books/videos about dyslexia/dysgraphi

So,

I'd like to give dd (11yo) some materials about dyslexia (or better yet, dysgraphia)....without handing her things that are wildly inaccurate or discouraging.

So, what are your favorite children's books about having dyslexia?

Feel free to respond with ones that you wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole, too, so that we don't bring those ones home.:tongue_smilie:

http://www.readingrockets.org/shows/launching/brain/

I like this video. I don't know what age is for. My son is little and I think too young for it.

I have flipped through some books and haven't liked any.

Henry Winkler (in this video) wrote some fiction books about a boy with dyslexia (I think). I looked in one and it was also for an older child (my son is 7 and young for his age). I think he would like it when he is older. They looked a little "I get in trouble its not fair" from my quick glance, but I think when it is fiction it is okay for an older child (who has some judgment, and still depending on just what the content is) -- though I haven't suggested it yet, and am not sure what I will think in a couple of years.

http://www.amazon.com/Hank-Zipzer-Collection-Henry-Winkler/dp/0448439778

There are a lot of reviews saying they are good for middle school, but I guess the reading level is low, so there are younger kids reading them, and then complaints from their parents. Well -- I have to say the good thing about my situation is that I am still heavily involved in my son's reading and know he won't read something I find inappropriate!

edit: The video is a lot about sound discrimination.

Edited by Lecka

thank you!!!

I'll have to post here once I start looking at the library. Most of what I end up getting is via interlibrary request, so unseen, I'll have to open up Amazon in one tab and the library in the other and cross-reference. Dd will read anything that comes in the door, and not listen if I tell her it's inaccurate, so I have to be careful.

Edited by Love_to_Read