Menu

Math Success for Dyslexic 7th grader

I started typing this yesterday and talked myself out of it by saying "oh just stick with what you are doing" but I'm not entirely convinced that is the right option.

My ds is entering 7th this year and has used BJU and TT over the years. TT worked for 2 years but halfway through level 5 he couldn't stand the voice so I ended up teaching the rest. I choose BJU, mostly because that is what I know and have used for my other kiddos, and used Grade 5 since it was the new 3rd edition. I chose grade 5 because, as with my dyslexics, one needs to teach, reteach, review and sometimes reteach until you get retention. I also chose 5 because it was the newest 3rd edition and had the work text option. He has done fine, no complaints on my part but he hates it! He says there is just too much on the paper and the space is small (I do copy many problems on to graph paper or scrap paper).

I keep seeing people recommend MUS - would this be a good option? He does enjoy watching/visual for learning but I want to be careful in how much screen time I add to his learning (he'll be using VP self-paced and probably BJU Reading online). Not sure what direction to go to prepare him for prealgebra in 8th (I'm not big on doing Algebra in 8th for various reasons). MUS looks great but worried about retention and about reviewing all the other things he has learned. It seems as though he can suffer from the brain drain from Friday to Monday so I'm worried if he only works on multiplication one year and then division the next, will he remember multiplying? I guess math is so challenging because it requires all that writing! and with dysgraphia you are already set up for the challenge. Ugh!!!!!

I need guidance, a schedule, scripted is okay, not a lot of clutter on the pages and no drill/kill (that will surely shut him down for sure). We've had great success this year working through Sonlight's Mathtacular 4 word problems program this year (a lot of fun) and I have the SCM Business program on my shelf that we could use to practice some math skills, too - ideas?

The easiest thing for you to change right now would be to continue the BJU 5 but switch to doing it on a whiteboard. That's how we did it. Try it for a while that way. It will at least buy you some time, and it MAY solve the problem. If it does, keep going through gr 6 and decide your change at that point.