Menu

Homeschooling with Depression

We've decided to homeschool my son starting now (K4 -- he turns five in October) and I'm quite excited! He just finished two years a local private preschool but now he's going to stay home. He loves our "school time" together and he loves reading and learning in general. I LOVE looking for curricula that will help us -- and I have a wonderful library close by that will be our regular stop for learning resources. I even got my son in a homeschool co-op for one day three times a month that I think will give him a social group to meet up with that will help him thrive socially. I'm looking forward to lots of outings together.

I also have a newborn daughter, and for the past months my clinical depression (part of it is probably PPD as well) has been making life rather difficult. I've been in and out of depressive episodes for years and for the most part I'm coping very well. I don't know when a down turn will come but I know I will get through it. That's the blessing of perspective after years of struggling with it.

However, as I start out homeschooling, I'm considering just what this means and feeling a bit concerned with how it's all going to play out. Can I *really* lead my brilliant young son (he's accelerated in reading and math already) through school while I struggle with this?

Does anyone else out there homeschool with depression? What are your survival techniques? How to keep your kids on track when you're going through a rough time? I guess I'm hoping for ideas but also encouragement. I'm hoping someone can tell me that I'm not insane for deciding to homeschool when already dealing with a personal issue like depression.

Thanks!

Rebecca

BTW, I plan on year round schooling, although more play time during summer...

I had severe PPD after both kids, and I still suffer from minor bouts of depression here and there, but have managed to stay off medication and control it mostly with diet.

I think since you are aware of your depression and are managing it, you will be fine through the homeschooling process. If you feel that things are overwhelming, take a break and get back to it when you are feeling better.

We've decided to homeschool my son starting now (K4 -- he turns five in October) and I'm quite excited! He just finished two years a local private preschool but now he's going to stay home. He loves our "school time" together and he loves reading and learning in general. I LOVE looking for curricula that will help us -- and I have a wonderful library close by that will be our regular stop for learning resources. I even got my son in a homeschool co-op for one day three times a month that I think will give him a social group to meet up with that will help him thrive socially. I'm looking forward to lots of outings together.

I also have a newborn daughter, and for the past months my clinical depression (part of it is probably PPD as well) has been making life rather difficult. I've been in and out of depressive episodes for years and for the most part I'm coping very well. I don't know when a down turn will come but I know I will get through it. That's the blessing of perspective after years of struggling with it.

However, as I start out homeschooling, I'm considering just what this means and feeling a bit concerned with how it's all going to play out. Can I *really* lead my brilliant young son (he's accelerated in reading and math already) through school while I struggle with this?

Does anyone else out there homeschool with depression? What are your survival techniques? How to keep your kids on track when you're going through a rough time? I guess I'm hoping for ideas but also encouragement. I'm hoping someone can tell me that I'm not insane for deciding to homeschool when already dealing with a personal issue like depression.

Thanks!

Rebecca

BTW, I plan on year round schooling, although more play time during summer...

I've been reading this today.:grouphug::grouphug:

http://www.titus2.com/corners/9-00-m.htm

I've had depression for several years now and this will be our 3rd year homeschooling. I really only have "REALLY bad days" when I'm having an "episode" and at the same time my kids have a 'bad school day' (i.e. my youngest gives me grief and sits at the table and doesn't do her work because she is having a 'tude'). Fortunately these two don't coincide terribly often. Some days when I just want to stay in bed the fact I'm homeschooling helps me get up and be productive...I have to convince myself it's not about me-it's about my kids and what's best for them. When I do have a bad day, and she's having a 'tude then we do the "must do" stuff (math) and play catch up the next day.

Sometimes it's hard-I won't lie-DH is acutely aware of how the effects of depression reflect on my life and everyone else's. If he notices that I'm in a funk he'll make me get out and we'll walk the dogs when he gets home or take me for an ice cream or something-just to try to break the "funk".

(oh and don't forget to take your meds!!)

Know yourself. Know your triggers.

I homeschooled through two nasty bouts of PPD, one of which lasted almost a year. I also homeschooled through two very long pregnancies where I was on bed rest or hospitalized for months at a time.

I now homeschool with migraines that knock me out for 2-3 days at a time.

During these times we homeschool gently. My expectations are low, because I know it won't always be this way. Math is set up so I can say, "do the next thing" at any given time. We read, read, read, read when I am out of commission. At those times we do history similar to Beautiful Feet, tons of reading. We read great science books that spark backyard explorations. We get subscriptions to online supplements that the kids can do with little supervision. Our littles have done Reading Eggs, Click 'n Read, Click 'n Spell, Samson's Classroom, Dream Box & IXL. Our bigs do ALEKS, Study Island, and IXL. The on-line work gives them something to work on every day and something that they can show Daddy at the end of the day.

You have to be kind to yourself. Eat a healthy diet and move your body every day, even if you don't want to. Don't beat yourself up about the extras that are not getting done. It helped me to repeat to myself that this would be over soon and then I would have the energy to do all the cool projects & activities that I imagined everyone else doing.

You can do it.

Amber in SJ

Thank you all for sharing your personal experiences, ideas, and encouragement. It means a lot.

thescrappyhomeschooler, I've tried to regulate w/o meds but have found medication is a blessing for me!

1pageatatime, that was a very helpful and inspiring post, thanks for linking to it!

vontinney, my husband is very understanding too, I think it makes a big difference in my life that he can tell how I'm doing!

Amber in SJ, I know exercise would make a big difference! I'm looking forward to getting back to the gym, as soon as my daughter is old enough to leave at the childcare!! (Although summer weather helps get me out and moving too and that's been good)

My dd is also four, so we aren't any further down the hsing path than you, but I do have OCD and depression. (And a dh with bipolar disorder!) And I have epilepsy. And PCOS. And my dd has a genetic disorder. We're a regular medical encyclopedia around here. :D

As others have said, stay on your meds.

Also, I find it helpful to plan ahead. A lot. When I'm going through an especially bad time, I'll plan everything down to the minute. I've noticed that when I'm depressed, it takes me much longer to figure out what I'm supposed to be doing, and I spend half the day sitting there trying to decide whether to read to dd or vacuum. If I sit down the night before and schedule everything out, then if I get to the point where I'm just too depressed to function well, I follow my schedule on autopilot.

I also make sure I have some kind of outing scheduled each day, even if it's just a trip to the park or the grocery store. Sitting around at home all the time makes me even more depressed.

I would suggest a gentle kindergarten year for your ds and you....since he is accelerated in some areas, focus on those areas and let other stuff be play. I notice that something like this helps me with my kids on my down days. Being more play and game based can help on the down days when you feel like you can't do a lot or focus a lot. Especially with a new babe and dealing with PPD, most definitely be gentle and slow.