Menu

DD wants info about Gaelic (sp?)

I would check with the potential colleges. To be honest, I'm not sure that many American colleges would consider Gaelic as an acceptable high school foreign language, but I could be wrong!

Are you considering Irish or Scots Gaelic?

I can't help with Irish Gaelic, but if you're interested in Scots Gaelic, the series "Speaking Our Language" is pretty awesome.

Sabhal Mòr Ostaig offers Gaelic distance classes in a similar format to OSU's German Online classes, with weekly phone tutorials.

It's been a long time since I've lived in Scotland, but those are the first things that jump to mind.

Where can I find more info about this?

the series "Speaking Our Language"

I found the distance learning courses you mentioned.

ANy guess if they would equal three years of foreign language?

And , yes, the bottom line is what will potential colleges accept.

First off' date=' would Gaelic satisfy modern foreign language requirement for college entrance?

[/quote']

Seeing as there's no AP test for Gaelic, and it is unlikely that any college dd would apply to teaches it, there's no easy way for the college to assess proficiency. Obviously, every college differs, but I would assume that because of this, most colleges would not accept this as meeting their requirements.

This article might be of interest.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/14/world/europe/14iht-gaelic.1968883.html

Contacting the four colleges which offer Irish language studies might be a good place to start for finding curricula. :)

Here's a more recent article.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/a-modest-revival-for-the-irish-language/2012/01/25/gIQABC3ftR_story.html

The first article refers to 29 US colleges having courses in Irish, and I've seen references to as many as 31.

Edited by Teachin'Mine

Seeing as there's no AP test for Gaelic, and it is unlikely that any college dd would apply to teaches it, there's no easy way for the college to assess proficiency. Obviously, every college differs, but I would assume that because of this, most colleges would not accept this as meeting their requirements.

This doesn't mean the college wouldn't accept the language for admissions. The student just wouldn't be able to use it for the language requirement to graduate out of the college.

My suspicion is that most colleges will take most languages for entrance.