Menu

Holt Biology Video Labs on DVD

Has anyone used Holt Biology Video Labs on DVD?

I've finally committed to using Holt Biology for my rising 9th-grader for the fall, and I'm wondering whether this component would be useful. Any opinions? I would probably just buy the 2004 edition, since the newer edition is SO much more expensive.

Thanks,

Tiffany

I am using Holt as well. I did not know about the videos...so I am :bigear: on this tHread. When I did bio before, we used Apologia...and I used You Tube for our video component. I had no trouble at all finding anything I needed. Now, I think , Kahn Academy also has Lab video.

Thanks, everyone, for your replies. The Amazon page for this DVD is

http://www.amazon.com/Holt-Biology-Video-Labs-Science/dp/0030360188/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&coliid=ICDNP2SLVT20F&colid=3MOM6UWXAP848

This is not the virtual investigations CD-Rom, but a separate item. I only discovered it by reading the Teacher's Manual.

I'm just trying to decide if it's worth ordering.

Tiffany

I have this video, and we used it briefly at the beginning of this school year. I'm probably not the best one to ask about Holt Biology, though, because we switched to Campbell's Biology: Exploring Life about two months after we began the year (DS had difficulty with the text of Holt and much preferred the style of writing in Campbell's).

Basically, the video gives an illustrated lab manual for each of the experiments it features. The coverage of each lab is about 5 minutes, and at least 1 minute of that time is spent on cautions (which all appear to be the same). It does have some good coverage of student dissections and illustrates a few lab techniques. It would not take the place of actually doing the lab yourself, by any means. For each lab, you are told a list of needed supplies, the objectives of the lab, how long the lab should take (50-60 minutes for dissections, for example), and an explanation of a few terms. It is aimed at the student, and questions raised (like "what do you see here?") are not answered on the video. I think it assumes that the teacher will answer these questions or check over the student's answers. It does show the format for data tables on which the students should record findings.

The labs featured on the video are for the following:

cell biology - 6 labs

genetics - 5 labs

evolution - 3 labs

ecology - 4 labs

diversity - 4 labs

plants - 5 labs

invertebrates - 5 labs

vertebrates - 5 labs

human biology - 7 labs

If you need any additional details, let me know, and I'll look at the video again and let you know what I find. Overall, I think it could supplement a student lab guide but would not take its place. I think it would probably be worth the cost if you plan to do the Holt labs.

Basically, the video gives an illustrated lab manual for each of the experiments it features. The coverage of each lab is about 5 minutes, and at least 1 minute of that time is spent on cautions (which all appear to be the same). It does have some good coverage of student dissections and illustrates a few lab techniques. It would not take the place of actually doing the lab yourself, by any means. For each lab, you are told a list of needed supplies, the objectives of the lab, how long the lab should take (50-60 minutes for dissections, for example), and an explanation of a few terms. It is aimed at the student, and questions raised (like "what do you see here?") are not answered on the video. I think it assumes that the teacher will answer these questions or check over the student's answers. It does show the format for data tables on which the students should record findings.

If you need any additional details, let me know, and I'll look at the video again and let you know what I find. Overall, I think it could supplement a student lab guide but would not take its place. I think it would probably be worth the cost if you plan to do the Holt labs.

Thank you so much, fiddledd! This is exactly what I needed to know.

Tiffany

• 4 weeks later...