Menu

Linguistic Development Through Poetry - yes or no? Anything else like it?

profmom

I love the idea of it and completely agree with the theory behind it, but I just did not have the money to purchase it this year- so I came up with my own. I used the book "Favorite Poems:Old and New", which I just loaned from the library, and picked out several (probably about 40) poems to use. Then I put them in order of difficulty so that we could start with the easier ones. My kids now memorize about a poem a week, and we review old poems every Monday and Friday. I record them so the kids can listen to them to help with memorizing and we also recite them together every morning. We also have the current poem posted on the wall. They have done remarkably well and I am very pleased with what we are doing!

If you have the money, it would probably be much easier just to buy the Poetry Memorization program, but if you don't you could try to doing your own thing like we are :)

I think it's excellent. I have not seen anything like it because of he models the memorization after the Suzuki style of learning music. I like how the students are constantly reviewing previously memorized poems. Also, the CD is so nice because his annunciation is so clear, you are not left to guess how to pronounce things in the more difficult poems. The students get a great feel for the rhythm of the poems, and they can listen to them in the car or wherever. There are so many benefits to the brain from this kind of poetry study. My first 2 children are completely different learners and both do very well with it. I also keep them separate in the program. I highly recommend it if you can afford it. Also, if you buy from IEW they have a 100% refund policy if you are not satisfied. My children and I love the selections.

:bigear:

We're using it now with a 7 and 5 yo. We started in May and are to The Yak, which is about the 7th poem. The kids take it in stride, but aren't in love with 'saying every poem every day.'

I believe in the brain as a muscle notion because between the poetry, their CC memory work and Suzuki violin, they can memorize without much effort.

Also, I hear them at times reciting the poems as they play....sometimes while playing with the neighborhood kids who make a face like this: :huh: That is gratifying to me as a parent.

I'm really looking forward to hearing responses from others who are farther along in the process. I'm also looking forward to getting to some of the meatier poems. I almost consider the time were putting into this as a gift I'm giving my adult children because this method should ensure they remember these poems for a lifetime.

I think one alternative would be to memorize the poems in this book. Although, I'm enjoying it, there's nothing magical about Pudewa's system. You're paying for a compilation of poems and a CD recording of those poems. There's not much else to it except consistent work on you and your children's part.

Edited by Missouri Okie
My original post sounded more negative than I intended.

I think it's excellent. I have not seen anything like it because of he models the memorization after the Suzuki style of learning music. I like how the students are constantly reviewing previously memorized poems. Also, the CD is so nice because his annunciation is so clear, you are not left to guess how to pronounce things in the more difficult poems. The students get a great feel for the rhythm of the poems, and they can listen to them in the car or wherever. There are so many benefits to the brain from this kind of poetry study. My first 2 children are completely different learners and both do very well with it. I also keep them separate in the program. I highly recommend it if you can afford it. Also, if you buy from IEW they have a 100% refund policy if you are not satisfied. My children and I love the selections.
:iagree:We don't do every selection. We generously add in our own picks.