Menu

Opinions on Henty books? With Lee in Virginia?

Wendi

I am trying to plan out some literature study for next year. I usually use the books Veritas Press has literature guides for in their TM. I'm not sure about With Lee in Virginia. It's a Henty book, which we've not read before, but looking at the excerpts on Amazon, I don't think it would appeal to my ds.

Ds is very interested in the Civil War, though. Would Across Five Aprils be a good choice for a sixth grader? Any other suggestions?

Wendi

My ds loved this book when he was in 6th grade! He also enjoyed Rifles for Watie (of course we live in the part of OK where that book took place). I will have to take a look at his booklist for last year and give you more suggestions.

We are reading Across Five Aprils and listening to audio of With Lee in Virginia right now. We are enjoying both, but I actually feel like Across Five Aprils is sort of more appealing to older children and adults, and With Lee in Virginia more for youngers. Just my opinion, of course. :)

I bought it on tape when we were studying the Civil War a few years ago. My girls loved it! We thought it was very engaging and IMO, it would be very appropriate for your son's age.

Should you purchase it, you might want to think about getting it on audio, then you can always read Across Five Aprils and have something else for the car, bedtime, etc.

We think it's absolutely excellent!

W

Fwiw and ymmv:

I vehemently dislike Henty's books.

I agree, for the same reasons. Even though I was given a few of the books on cd and hate to pass up free materials, I sold them all after listening only a short while to Cat of Bubastes. I like children's historical fiction quite a lot and we read/listen to a number of authors from the same time period (Victorian) so it is not the complexity of the language. It is that he is a glaring example of all the things I like least about some of the Victorians with pretty much none of the redeeming qualities I have found in other authors of that period.

Read them online for yourself first to see if you like them.