Menu

History of the Medieval World

Has anyone read this? I currently have a copy from my library and it looks like a book my ds would really enjoy. Does anyone know if there is any inappropriate content for a younger reader?

ETA: I'm also interested to know if the History of the Ancient World is appropriate as well.

Thanks!

Has anyone read this? I currently have a copy from my library and it looks like a book my ds would really enjoy. Does anyone know if there is any inappropriate content for a younger reader?

ETA: I'm also interested to know if the History of the Ancient World is appropriate as well.

Thanks!

I remember reading some about this on the high school board. Here are two threads:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259660

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253055&highlight=history+ancient+world

I hope the links work.

I'm reading through the great big thread referenced above (thanks!). This will be for a 10/11 year old. I guess I would be hesitant if there was explicit sexual content, but if it is occasional and at the level of description found in the Bible then I would be fine with it.

I do want to read the books, but I'm not sure time will allow me to preread them.

Snort. I just saw your location.:D
There's also a Starbucks, but I don't count it as a coffee shop. :tongue_smilie: Edited by nmoira

I'm reading through the great big thread referenced above (thanks!). This will be for a 10/11 year old. I guess I would be hesitant if there was explicit sexual content, but if it is occasional and at the level of description found in the Bible then I would be fine with it.

I do want to read the books, but I'm not sure time will allow me to preread them.

If the interest is there, I don't see a problem with it. Has he read Cartoon History of the World series by Gonick? There's nothing content-wise in the SWB books more adult than in these.

If the interest is there, I don't see a problem with it. Has he read Cartoon History of the World series by Gonick? There's nothing content-wise in the SWB books more adult than in these.

Yes, the interest is there. No, I haven't seen the Cartoon series. He wanted to read the Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire after he read a sample, but I don't think he knows how big of a bite that is.