Menu

Need feedback from all you strawberry jam makers out there....

This is the second year that I am doing freezer jam. They didn't have what I used last year so this year I am using 100% Natural Sure-Jel.

Couple questions:

1) It says the yield is 5 cups. I keep getting 7 7 oz. out of it. Will it set o.k.?

2) I used glass jam jars in the freezer last year. None of them broke. Someone told me that glass jars are more likely to break. On the box it says something about plastic. I really don't want to use plastic. Is this something to be concerned about?

3)Any general thoughts about making jam would be helpful. I definetly fall in the challenged homemaker category:)!

I always make freezer jam with strawberries. I hate the taste of cooked fruit jams. I usually follow the recipe for mixing and then just put it in whatever jars I want. Sometimes glass, sometimes plastic. I never measure how much is in each jar I just leave about and inch at the top for expansion. I've never had a problem with it setting up.

HTH

This is the second year that I am doing freezer jam. They didn't have what I used last year so this year I am using 100% Natural Sure-Jel.

Couple questions:

1) It says the yield is 5 cups. I keep getting 7 7 oz. out of it. Will it set o.k.?

2) I used glass jam jars in the freezer last year. None of them broke. Someone told me that glass jars are more likely to break. On the box it says something about plastic. I really don't want to use plastic. Is this something to be concerned about?

3)Any general thoughts about making jam would be helpful. I definetly fall in the challenged homemaker category:)!

Hi Rebecca! If I give you freezer jam advice, can I have some? Pretty please?:lol: I missed the strawberries here this year and so have no freezer jam and I am SO SAD! We love strawberry freezer jam. I could eat it straight out of the jar (and have - shh!).

Anyhoo, I think as long as you are starting out with the right amount of berries for the recipe, your jam will set just fine. I always seem to end up with more jam than I'm supposed to, and have never had a problem with it setting. It's probably got something to do with juicier berries.

I have never had a problem with my glass jars breaking. I have used plastic because they were all I could find, but I prefer the glass ones too. I don't think you need to worry about that at all.

All I know about jam is (1) follow the recipe EXACTLY and (2) don't try to double it - make each batch one at a time. If you do those two things, you shouldn't have any trouble. The only time I've had problems with jam setting is when I didn't believe that my apple jelly needed extra pectin. The lady who wrote the recipe was very specific that I would need extra pectin, but I am a skeptic and thought that since apples are high in pectin that she just didn't know what she was talking about. Well, she was right, and I had a lot of apple goo that didn't set. :D