Menu

Can we talk about the emotional needs of teen boys?

My kids are on a swim team which keeps them busy most evenings. They also take a ballroom dance class once a week. The 14 year old volunteers at a local animal shelter an hour or two a week. He also volunteers at the library during the summer a few hours a week. At our library you are able to start volunteering the summer prior to entering 8th grade.

Are there any elderly neighbors he can help with odd jobs. My ds used to mow the lawn for a neighbor.

I like the idea from ilovemy4kids about Boy Scouts. It sounds like it fits your son's interests. And if he goes for Gold Award, he can really do an amazing project on his own, and qualify for good scholarships from that. There are similar groups such as Royal Rangers and YMCA Youth and Government, depending on your area or his interests.

For more independent activities, my son has always had his own passion, and other boys that hang around here have theirs. My son has been into snowboarding, skateboarding, and now weightlifting. My older son is into hockey, and there are teams through the YMCA and community centers. I know another boy who is into competitive cycling, and one who does football. Often when kids hang around these kinds of places, they can gravitate towards others who show them how to increase their skills or whatever.

Good luck keeping your young man busy!

Julie

My two oldest went through the Civil Air Patrol Cadet program. Their favorite part was search and rescue. They were both certified ground team members for the Virginia State S&R organization (not sure what it's called). They participated in several searches for missing toddlers, alzheimer patients, and downed planes. This required them to learn a lot of first aid and my oldest became a certified Red Cross instructor. They are also both certified to set up a shelter during an emergency such as a hurricane or a nuclear meltdown (we have a reactor a few counties south of us). They joined CAP right around 9/11 and the skills they learned have helped them feel like they can truly help in an emergency. CAP also offered many opportunities for learning leadership skills. Both of mine were cadet squadron leaders and also were on staff at several summer encampments as flight commanders, etc.

http://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/