Menu

Math-U-See Pre-Calculus

My son has finished Elementary Algebra (Jacobs), Geometry: Seeing, Understanding, Doing (Jacobs), various chapters of consumer math and sections of Mathematics a Human Endeavor (Jacobs).

He needs one more math credit and it does not look like he will be going into a STEM field. He finds math, by far, his most challenging subject.

I wondered if the above prep. would be enough for the Math-U-See Pre-Calculus? (We used math u see up until the first Jacobs book).

Thanks!

I agree that Algebra 2 is important. It's possible that he might be able to do Precalculus with MUS since their scope&sequence is behind other programs, but I would still go with Algebra 2.

Teaching Textbooks is another nice option with a scope&sequence that is behind other programs. I can't use it for my youngest because she won't do math on the computer.

I'm using MUS with my youngest because the scope&sequence is behind other programs. She needs the level of math that she will get with MUS. She can't handle an Algebra I program as rigorous as Jacobs right now. My plan is to keep her in MUS through high school and then she can start with College Algebra when she goes to college (if she goes to college - her interests don't require a college degree).

Thanks ladies! That is sort of what I was thinking.

I think though that my son wants to stick with the Mathematics a Human Endeavor for his last credit- he is enjoying the book and wants math to be done soon!!:)

(My dd on the other hand would rather do math, hard math, all day and never read a book!:D)

No tomatoes please!! But there is an umbrella school here in Canada that counts Elementary Algebra as 2 credits. My son definitely put in that much time really mastering the material. That is why he wants to move on. But thanks so much for the info! Also, I have had friends children going into a non-science field be accepted at good Canadian Universities with little or no math on the transcript....