Menu

What manipulatives do you recommend with MM 1 and 3

I am just starting MM 1B (did SM 1A but we are switching) and MM 2b (for review - will soom move into 3A). We own a big set of C-rods that we use with Miquon (our supplimental program). Do I need any other manipulatives? I don't own anything else - so what do you recommend and where should I purchase it?

Thanks

1B has a section on Abacus work, though it's never used again (you'd have to add it in if you want to use it). The Abacus is about $10 at Rainbow Resource. It's the Rightstart Abacus, even though it is just a generic listing on the website (it's labeled "AL" on the abacus itself, and I got one in a RS A kit, and they are the exact same abacus).

I used base-10 blocks for the going over ten thing (I think that's in 1B? It's been a while), but C-rods would work fine for that.

My son doesn't need manipulatives usually, so that's all we ever used for 1A-4B.

If you look at the page for each level, there is a list of manips for the A and B parts.

Here's 1:

Here is a list of manipulatives that are needed or recommended for grade 1:

A 100-bead abacus (for 1-A and 1-B; especially the chapter on place value and chapter 7)

Please read more about the 100-bead abacus on the FAQ page.

An old-fashioned alarm clock or other analog clock where you can turn the minute hand and the hour hand will turn as it is supposed to (for 1-B).

A ruler that measures in inches (for 1-B).

A ruler that measures in centimeters (for 1-B).

and 2:

Here is a list of manipulatives that are needed or recommended for grade 2:

An old-fashioned alarm clock or other analog clock where you can turn the minute hand and the hour hand will turn as it is supposed to (for 2-A).

A ruler that measures in inches (for 2-B).

A ruler that measures in centimeters (for 2-B).

A bathroom scales. It is best if you can have one that measures in pounds and in kilograms, or one with pounds and another with kilograms; however I realize most people wouldn't normally buy two bathroom scales, so if you decide not to get both kinds, it means you will just need to skip some activities in the measuring chapter (for 2-B).

Base ten blocks to illustrate place value with hundreds (optional). The worktexts have pictures that are just like base ten blocks, and most kids can understand the concepts from the visual representation, without a physical manipulative; however for some kids the actual blocks can be beneficial (for 2-B).

A 100-bead abacus (optional)

Please read more about the 100-bead abacus on the FAQ page.

My kids aren't big on manipulatives, but one thing that is indispensable in this digital world is a clock with hands that they can manipulate. Both of them seem to be having an inordinate amount of trouble with time - telling time for the little, and elapsed time concepts for the big - and the clock manipulative seems to be helping.