Menu

Prefixes, suffixes, and stems vs. Latin

I am trying to decide if it would benefit my DD more to just continue to do something like MCT vocabulary, learning prefixes, suffixes, and stems or to jump in and just learn latin? Which will have the most long term benefit in application? Currently we are reviewing CE I and II while finishing the last two weeks of PR4.

My thought, and something I've read on these boards before, is that it depends on your end goal. For us, I don't have a goal of my son being fluent in Latin to the extent that he can read original works in the language. I have a goal of exposure, with more extensive work on roots/stems.

So if you want your daughter to learn Latin, why? Is it for fluency, original works? For the systemic mental benefit of learning a language? Or more for vocabulary and better understanding of English? I do think that makes a difference.

We are chaging to Vocabulary Vine in July. It does latin and greek roots. It is simple and I am really excited about using it, as are my dc. We have done Wordly Wise for the last couple of years and had little to no retention. I saw someone else post on it and I think it is a perfect compromise between just learning vocab and taking latin or greek as a language.

I've seen Vocabulary Vine and I think it would be good. I also really like Caesar's English. Vocabulary from Classical Roots and English from the Roots Up would also fit here.

Mel, any decisions?? I confess to having mulled over this one a lot as well.

I printed off and laminated flash cards for all the lessons in CE I and II. DD did these two years ago but we didn't keep up on it so we are going to run through them and put them into a daily/weekly rotation. I have LR1. DD still talks like she wants to learn Latin but I am leaning toward MCT WWW Vocabulary at a slower pace.