Menu

Why not Latin earlier ?

k3bzr18

I am confused on why the recommendation for Latin is for 3rd grade and above? Is it because it can confuse children with vowels etc.? Not that I want to push my children too hard but I thought languages should be taught early especially if they help teach the understanding of languages . Am I completely off base? Help me understand!

Thank you!

Lynn.

DD ages 6,4 and 2.5

I have read Latin stories to all my children --- the younger the better --- they run around the house spouting Latin words and expressions, just like they do learning English. But, yes, they get it, and they love it. And no, it's not pressure, and no it doesn't confuse them. Of course, I wouldn't think of inundating young children with Latin paradigms and grammar. But words, expressions, stories --- absolutely, yes.

It gives me a message saying I (or my email address, specifically) can't take the test but I can sign in with a different address or I can "request author of the test to share test with you". :confused: Is there some specially way of sharing it with me besides the link? I'll PM my account email address if I need to. For kicks I tried the Latin II - Test 2 but that was out of league. :tongue_smilie:

I will check into that. Not sure what the deal is. :confused1:

I have read Latin stories to all my children --- the younger the better --- they run around the house spouting Latin words and expressions, just like they do learning English. But, yes, they get it, and they love it. And no, it's not pressure, and no it doesn't confuse them. Of course, I wouldn't think of inundating young children with Latin paradigms and grammar. But words, expressions, stories --- absolutely, yes.

I agree. There is nothing at all wrong with introducing the subject to young children, especially the way you describe. :) But the reason I've been quoted as advising against starting too young is that many moms I knew were struggling to succeed with a Latin program at the expense of doing other more appropriate studies with their 1st and 2nd graders. The 6 and 7 yos will get so much more out of simply reading and discussing literature --or playing-- than they will out of a formal Latin study. Then when they are older, and after a good basis in English grammar, understanding the syntax of sentences, they will be able to succeed with a Latin program. Especially if the parent has spent the early years studying it on an adult level--at least the basics.

This is simply what I have seen to be a more successful program over the years:

The parent studies Latin at her level, while children build things with Legos.

Then when homeschooling teaches a few Latin words and phrases to the little ones along with their reading and writing exercises.

There is nothing at all wrong with Song School Latin or Latin Primer, but a formal 1st- 3rd grade Latin curriculum is not as beneficial in the long run as the parent spending some time in Wheelock's or other true Latin program--even the free antique Latin texts available.

Beth-

What would your suggestion for an adult level Latin program for a secular parent (with no Latin experience other than basic roots and medical terminology) be? We are going to do song school latin this year, just as an introduction (and I am calling it music.... :D) but I want to learn so I can do just what you are recommending.

It gives me a message saying I (or my email address, specifically) can't take the test but I can sign in with a different address or I can "request author of the test to share test with you". :confused: Is there some specially way of sharing it with me besides the link? I'll PM my account email address if I need to. For kicks I tried the II - Test 2 but that was out of league. :tongue_smilie:

Perhaps the link I typed was wrong, here it is again:

http://www.wiziq.com/Sign_In.aspx?ReturnUrl=online-tests/18504-latin-intro-final-test

It is one of the 'public' tests I've listed but if that doesn't work, just do a search for "Tests" and put in the word "latin" .....

Near the bottom of the list you'll find: Latin Intro Final Test

Oh no!!! I just realized that I gave you the link to a test that I've been trying to get off of Wiziq. I had forgotten all about it. The key is incorrect for # 20 and 21, so if you have taken it don't count those two. I asked them to pull that test a long time ago, and they said they would. :(

Once you make a test go "public" at Wiziq there is no way to edit anything about it, or even remove it. When I was first using their online teaching services (about 4 years ago), I was playing around with making tests. I wasn't paying close enough attention to pushing the button for choosing the "correct answer" after I'd composed it, and so on those two the default answer of D (i think it was d) was entered! Anyway, long explanation of why there are mistakes in that test. I am pretty sure that its the only one with errors. After that one I was much more careful.

Perhaps the link I typed was wrong, here it is again:

http://www.wiziq.com/Sign_In.aspx?ReturnUrl=online-tests/18504-latin-intro-final-test

It is one of the 'public' tests I've listed but if that doesn't work, just do a search for "Tests" and put in the word "latin" .....

Near the bottom of the list you'll find: Latin Intro Final Test

Same message, even after searching. Perhaps they did take it down?

Beth-

What would your suggestion for an adult level Latin program for a secular parent (with no Latin experience other than basic roots and medical terminology) be? We are going to do song school latin this year, just as an introduction (and I am calling it music.... :D) but I want to learn so I can do just what you are recommending.

It all depends. Do you want simply a textbook approach, a dvd approach, an online class? and do you want to pay a little, a lot, or need a free course? There are so many options! But I will give you my top five, with this caveat (one of them is my own course ;P):

From least to most expensive...

1) FREE Latin for Beginners by D'ooge -This great antique textbook (and I think the key) are available for download.

2) FREE "The Latinstudy List" - I love this list -I went there to finish Wheelock's and translate St Augustine's Confessions, when I was first studying Latin. They have groups at many different levels--you study Wheelock's on your own with other autodidacts; then turn in your work to be compared with the others and its sent back out to you; then you can get questions answered by great volunteer experts almost instantly. Not sure what their url is, but just do this key word search: information on Wheelock's Latin Study List. I found it for you...

Latinstudy List

3) $$ Well, of course, I have to recommend my own asynchronous course -since I've worked so hard over the years to make it an answer to the home schooling mom's problem. There are two levels (Introduction to Latin or Studium Latinae) on Wiziq. Either the public ones or the private ones. You can read about them at my website--and at my website you can sign up for the private course. (I also have live classes.)

http://www.SummerLatin.org

(But I am crazy to send you to the courses that they are promoting on the public side of wiziq! I have no control over their marketing, so they have the funkiest English (they are in India! :) You will read things like, "This course will also work for mothers who wish to learn Latin along with youngsters." It was even much worse than this, until I bugged them to fix the wording. LOL)

4) $$$ The teacher training dvds (by Karen Moore)* from Classical Academic Press--or the Latin For Children program; surprisingly all 3 levels are almost equivalent to a high school Latin I --other elementary programs are not.

5)$$$ Artes Latinae for an inductive study--The way it teaches the sound and flow of a sentence is great! If you are the type who doesn't mind gradually building your understanding with bits and pieces and can wait til you finish two whole levels before you see the big picture of the language, you will like this program. I like this as a supplement to a text book program.

What about all of the other popular curricula? Lively Latin, Memoria Press, etc? They make great workbook programs for the grammar stage and will be wonderful to use if you know some of the Latin yourself. There is not enough instruction for you to study it at your level. An inquiring mind will be frustrated by these, but with a supplemental reference they are great.

-----------------------------------

*but not her Latin Alive text--it simply does NOT have enough practice. Otherwise it is fine, so if you want to supplement with something else, or if its a review, then it will be fine.

Same message, even after searching. Perhaps they did take it down?

:001_huh:

Ok, I'll just put up a new one! Become one of my "followers" or "contacts" and I think you will get an email notice. I am really grateful for this nudge, since creating more online tests for my students has been something I've been trying to get to on my "to do" list.

5)$$$ Artes Latinae for an inductive study--The way it teaches the sound and flow of a sentence is great! If you are the type who doesn't mind gradually building your understanding with bits and pieces and can wait til you finish two whole levels before you see the big picture of the language, you will like this program. I like this as a supplement to a text book program.

Thanks for mentioning AL. We used it successfully from an early age (verrrrrry slowly) for Great Girl, and so far so good for Middle Girl. We combine it with memorizing prayers and Mass responses, the meaning of which they know but the exact translation of which decodes gradually over time as more grammar is introduced.

It's less $$$ if you subscribe to the Bolchazy-Carducci e-newsletter and wait for the annual Giant Coupon. Even so, it's not for those prone to switch curricula easily; but spread over three children, it's been a very good investment.