IEW Phonetic Zoo for spelling

Grammar Town

Caesar's English I

Latin for Children

Mind Benders puzzles

Building Thinking Skills

Science at co-op, plus listening to Lyrical Life Science

Geography Songs and States and Capitals

Of course, not all of these subjects will be done every day.

What say you?

Wendi

We're getting ready for 6th grade here too. As far as I can tell it looks good. I'm curious about Caesar's English. What is that? I also notice a lot of writing, but since I don't use IEW I'm not familiar with the individual programs. Do they all work together?

Caesar's English is a vocabulary program by Michael Clay Thompson. I will probably not start it right in the beginning of the year; I'll wait until everything else gets going smoothly. It'll be new to us, as will Grammar Town.

Honestly, ds needs to do a lot of writing, to get up to speed. He has improved a TON in writing in the past year, but still has a way to go.

Wendi

The history program has a few literature guides included, and we'll add a couple more books; possibly White Fang, Call of the Wild, and Adventures of Tom Sawyer. I've got a few more books I'm mulling over; this is still up in the air.

I won't have him do a lot of writing with these; we mostly discuss literature orally. I do a lot of read-alouds, especially in history, that we can discuss as we go, too.

Wendi

If you do some great schedule, will you let me know?! (cyndikane@sbcglobal.net) Is there a Classical Conversations group in your area? They are covering a lot of what you are doing this year: same history cycle, states and capitals, Lyrical Life Science, and their "Essentials" programs use IEW. This year they'll use the American History Thematic unit - have you ever used that? Very easy to teach IEW with those theme books. The Essentials class has its own grammar program that is the best method I've ever seen (and I'm a former English teacher).

It does seem that you may possibly have a bit of overlap with some of the programs.

You are doing latin and the Caesar's English. These would overlap each other and possibly create busywork (though I looked at a sample of the Caesar's book and it looks very interesting; kind of hard to resist :)).

I think a lot of it depends on how you are scheduling the curriculum. For example, you could do the IEW writing lessons one semester and the poetry study the second. Or do the poetry study one semester and then some literature study the second semester.

I think doing some of these things all at the same time would be a bit much and you would not get as much out of them trying to fit them all in.

I am more of a less is more approach. I find it is better to do less with greater focus and depth rather than do more at a surface level. This is just my opinion, of course. You know your child and what works for your situation.

So with all that said, you could just start with what you have and make adjustments along the way as necessary (if needed). You do have the bases covered, so I would try it and see how it goes. Have fun! :)

Okay, so Caesar's English would probably be overkill. The poetry memorization, lyrical life science, and geography will be mostly just listening, and we'll have a "Memory period" for about 10 min. every morning for him to recite what he's learning, so I can check on him. (He'll do the listening either in the car when we're out and about, or during his "independent assignment" time in the afternoon.)

I'm hoping we can complete the grammar during the first half of the year, and during the second half of the year, continue practicing using sentences from our other work (history, science, literature). (Also, Latin will reinforce the grammar.) Ditto for the IEW; once we finish the SWI, I plan to use our history, science, and literature work for source material the rest of the year. Does this make sense? Will it work?

Any more comments? Y'all are so helpful, really!:001_smile:

Wendi