Menu

Windows to the World & Teaching the Classics?

I am having a hard time getting a sense of what these two programs encompass. I have been to the IEW website and some of the example pages won't open, and there is very little description in the catalog or at RR. I am familiar with methods used in Teaching the Classics through a CC practicum, but can't find more info about the curriculum.

Here is what I'd like to know: Book Lists for each, preferrably high school level. I CAN'T FIND IT ANYWHERE!!!! I am trying to decide if I should do this combo for a 9th grader, or go with the literature part of the curriculum of the Notgrass history/lit/bible combo.

Also, which is a better program? Dd14 loves history AND literature, so SHE would like it to be rigorous. She is still trying to decide whether to do US History which is next in our history sequence, or World History.

Please give me a picture because I can't seem to get enough info. Thanks.

They are two very different programs. Teaching the Classics lends itself to being used at ANY age - literally. I think it's ideal for introduction to literary analysis in that 11-14 year old area.

I co-taught a co-op class for one semester last year using TTC. We initially used only the spiral bound version. It was so... eh. I kept looking through it thinking, "Well, duh. Everyone knows theme, character, plot, setting."

Finally broke down and bought the DVDs. Now I KNOW that everyone says that Adam Andrews is to Lit Analysis what Mr. Pudewa is to writing, but I wouldn't quite go that far. *BUT* that could also depend on your comfort level... I feel more comfortable with literary analysis / discussion than I do higher level writing and while I enjoyed Adam Andrews, I get a real kick out of Pudewa's teaching style. However, Mr. Andrews is certainly dynamic enough and not at all boring to watch.

The book differs GREATLY than the videos and I would tell you that if the DVDs are not within your price range don't bother with the manual. Truly.

As to a booklist... There isn't one. There are lists of recommended books. I, frankly, think their lists aren't great. We thought of a ton of books we would rather use and we thought a lot of their books were inferior to ones we thought of, lol. :D I know that Eli and his "posse" at Exodus Books are recommending this for use with TTC:

Reading Roadmaps

As to Windows on the World:

Windows to the World is more advanced. It was intended to be used for high school. It suits my style much more. It begins with short stories (The Dangerous Game) which is suited for an older child / high schooler as are the rest of the excerpts / short stories. It teaches MUCH more in depth - allusions (inc. biblical), creating suspense and the structure of the plot, theme, symbolism, irony, POV, tone, etc.

Frankly, I think unless it was a really advanced middle schooler it should be saved for high school because it is so much more APPRECIATED. Her tone through the book is FABULOUS and very much written to the student and intended to have in depth teacher involvement though.

I know that literary analysis is not for everyone. But do want to know

*I* think? I think it is the single most important class unless your child intends on going into a math/science field. It teaches reading/listening with discernment, critical thinking, analyzing, and a whole lot more!

Jill Pike (IEW) wrote a simple little guide to teaching using BOTH of these resources. She uses the DVDs to teach the basic elements of analysis - picking apart a book, piece by piece so that you can look at each basic element on it's own to understand what you, the reader, is thinking as well as looking closely at what motivated the author.

Then she goes into Windows to the World. Now, Windows to the World has essay assignments.

Soooooo... That leads me to my "perfect" plan.

Elegant Essay (first)

Then the Jill Pike one which incorporates BOTH and analyzes books - Think of it as "Beyond Windows to the World"

We are just getting to beginning Jill Pike's study incorporating Windows to the World. I'm excited. Can ya tell? :D

Thank you for your thoughts on those currics. I knew the TTC was for all ages, but thought that there would be grade leveled book recs and maybe LP's to go with but it doesn't sound like it. Windows to the World sounds good too, and I had been toying around with the idea of using Elegant Essay as well. This particular child is a voracious reader, but she will be doing an extensive amount of writing across her curriculum (CC Challenge B), so I am not sure that I want to add another heap(Elegant Essay) of writing on her in addition to her lit, history, current events, and science research papers but I do feel the literature is too light. I really should just make the trip to Exodus to see the books and compare, but it's almost 2 hrs away and gas is soooo high right now.

I was also hoping to get input on the literature part of the Notgrass series...is it adequate instruction on analysis/composition. I have looked at the reading list for US History and it is definitely an even medium load...not too heavy...not too light. I could always add a few to it, I almost always do.