Menu

KarenCiavo, I have some latin questions for you

We have used LCI and will use LCII this year, mainly because we already have it, could we skip Latin Alive book 1 and move into book 2 when it comes out. Or do you suggest we get through book 1 as quickly as we can, making sure we know everything, not rushing and then move onto book 2 and then 3? My kids will be in grades K, 7, 10, 11 this year. I do plan to start Song School Latin with my K'er after our Christmas break. Thanks

No, you couldn't skip Latin Alive! Book 1. One reason for this is because LC does not explain the grammar and if you skip levels in LA! you will miss a lot of grammar.

Are you going to have the older children work on Latin together? I would suggest moving on the Latin Alive this year for the sake of your 11th & 10th grade students.

No, you couldn't skip Latin Alive! Book 1. One reason for this is because LC does not explain the grammar and if you skip levels in LA! you will miss a lot of grammar.

Are you going to have the older children work on Latin together? I would suggest moving on the Latin Alive this year for the sake of your 11th & 10th grade students.

Yes, I wanted the older ones to work together. So would I just go with LA for all three of the older ones or use LCII with the 7th grader and LA with the 10 & 11 th grader? Thanks

Yes, I wanted the older ones to work together. So would I just go with LA for all three of the older ones or use LCII with the 7th grader and LA with the 10 & 11 th grader? Thanks

I would keep all three together. My 7th grader had no problem with LA!

Karen :001_smile:

I would agree with Karen Ciavo - probably not wise to proceed straight to Latin Alive 2 from LC II. Latin Alive 2 assumes that students have learned all the material covered in LFC Primers A - C. My experience is that the LFC series covers more material than LC I & II. So students who jump straight to LA2 might encounter some frustrating "holes."

LA 1 will doubtless include some review for LC students, but with its greater emphasis on reading, I doubt students will be bored. I taught LA 1 this year to a class of 7th grade students who had completed the LFC series. The chapters that were review we went through very quickly. If I could tell with certainty that they had a firm grasp on the material, then we might go through a chapter in as little as a day or two - just a review to make sure they were solid. This allowed us to spend more time on chapters that did cover new material. I can safely say the students were not bored at all. If anything, their confidence in their language skills was increased.

Karen Moore

LA author

I would agree with Karen Ciavo - probably not wise to proceed straight to Latin Alive 2 from LC II. Latin Alive 2 assumes that students have learned all the material covered in LFC Primers A - C. My experience is that the LFC series covers more material than LC I & II. So students who jump straight to LA2 might encounter some frustrating "holes."

LA 1 will doubtless include some review for LC students, but with its greater emphasis on reading, I doubt students will be bored. I taught LA 1 this year to a class of 7th grade students who had completed the LFC series. The chapters that were review we went through very quickly. If I could tell with certainty that they had a firm grasp on the material, then we might go through a chapter in as little as a day or two - just a review to make sure they were solid. This allowed us to spend more time on chapters that did cover new material. I can safely say the students were not bored at all. If anything, their confidence in their language skills was increased.

Karen Moore

LA author

I was nervous about the pronunciation guide. It appears to be different from Latina Christiana. What are the differences? I am concerned about if I were to switch. My son and I are doing Latina Christiana II this coming school year. However, I am going to take two years because there is more grammar in this one. I just looked at your sample and I got scared for my son. I don't want to confuse the children.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

The pronunciation in LA is classical, whereas the pronunciation for LC is ecclesiastical. So there are some differences. However, I would encourage you not to be "scared" for your son. The differences between classical and ecclesiastical are not that significant, and it is not difficult to adapt from one to the other. I have been "raised" with classical Latin, but I have no difficulty reading ecclesiastical. The biggest difference you will likely see in the LA text is an 'i' instead of 'j.' If he pronounces some words ecclesiastically due to habit, that is really not a problem. Our own language has changed significantly over a span of hundreds of years. Even today a word such as "aunt" is pronounced differently depending upon where you live. My husband (who grew up in Vermont) and I will argue about the proper way to say "guacamole." We still understand each other perfectly, however, when we want to have it for dinner. So I would encourage you to take a look at the content and layout of the texts you are considering, and let that guide you in choosing the best text for your family. Allow pronunciation to play a secondary role. I hope that helps to alleviate your concern.

blessings,

Karen Moore

p.s. - It may interest you to know that early ecclesiastical writings will appear in LA books 2 and 3. Writings from men such as Tertullian, Ambrose, and Augustine. Their Latin was classical or very close to it.

Hi Karen (My Testimony),

Rest easy, as Karen Moore said. We started out with Latina Christiana and it didn't take long to adjust at all. Although, my oldest still prefers ecclesiastical and I allow him to use it; during our lessons ds15 is reading one way and ds13 and I read another and we understand each other fine.

HTH,

Karenciavo