Menu

SWR & 100 Easy Lesson mix

Pongo

I use SWR and I have used it since my yod oldest learned to read at age 4(now 9 1/2). I slugged through the learning curve, went to several seminars (Basic and Advanced) and stayed with it. I taught my ds with it also.

I started my 4 yod on it, was so different. I have two older kids to teach, I tend to use "teacher intensive" curricula. I just couldn't find the time SWR needed for my dd. She knew the first set of phonograms (A-Z) and I shelved it. Last year (Sept.), I decided to try SWR with her again, we were slogging through it, no consistency aacccckkkk:(.

I went to a used curricula sale before Christmas and grabbed a used copy of 100 EZ. I introduced the card phonograms from SWR when 100 EZ introduced the letter combos like (th, ow, ar, er) . I used 100 EZ as my lesson planner to execute SWR. adding the phonograms from SWR. I did not do any lists, no chart work. For the writing ,I would just have her write the phonos. (like in SWR). Here we are on lesson 70 of 100 EZ, she is whipping through the stories and her fluency is amazing. The only complaint I ever had about SWR was, the lack of cute stories to practice while moving through the lists. I did add Bob books and others but ,it added to the time on top of doing SWR and many times I would have to teach something she was not yet introduced to in SWR. The story after each lesson in 100 EZ alleviated this for me.

My friend also started doing this with her 5yod in Sept., this was her 1st year using SWR and her daughter has already finished 100EZ and is moving through the SWR lists. She is reading 2nd grade easy readers so well , my gf said it was so easy to slide into SWR.

Just thought I'd throw out this little tidbit for those that could be struggling with SWR :o.

I introduced the card phonograms from SWR when 100 EZ introduced the letter combos like (th, ow, ar, er) . I used 100 EZ as my lesson planner to execute SWR. adding the phonograms from SWR. I did not do any lists, no chart work. For the writing ,I would just have her write the phonos. (like in SWR). Here we are on lesson 70 of 100 EZ, she is whipping through the stories and her fluency is amazing. The only complaint I ever had about SWR was, the lack of cute stories to practice while moving through the lists. I did add Bob books and others but ,it added to the time on top of doing SWR and many times I would have to teach something she was not yet introduced to in SWR. The story after each lesson in 100 EZ alleviated this for me.

I have been trying to plan ahead for when I will teach my 3yo dd to read. My oldest learned to read in public school, so I didn't have sole responsiblity for teaching her like I will with my youngest. I love the idea of SWR, but I want something a bit more scheduled. I will have to take a look at 100EZ. I've requested it from the library. Thanks so much for sharing!