Menu

Looking to switch grammar from R&S-suggestions?

I have used Rod and Staff grammar for grades 2 and 4. (We used BJU for 3rd.) I am thinking of changing if I can find something that will work for us. My dilemma is that Rod and Staff makes sense to me, so it is easy for me to teach it. I like that it is logical, systematic, and thorough. But I am not sure it is sinking in well enough for my son and works with his learning style. Is there an alternative that is still thorough but maybe not quite as intensive? I am not sure I can teach Easy Grammar because it seems too non-traditional in its approach (the whole finding prepositional phrases and crossing them out approach is foreign to me). And my son is not into songs, so Shurley would be lost on us. Is there something sort of like a Rod and Staff light? Maybe with more of a workbook approach?

My understanding is that Growing With Grammar was designed as a secular alternative to R & S.

We've used several levels of GWG; it seems very thorough. I especially appreciate the fact that it's a workbook approach, which minimizes writing for my pencil-phobic dc.

There have been a few threads over the last several weeks about Climbing to Good English. It looks very thorough and is in a workbook form. Also, very affordable. Let me see if I can find you a few threads.

Pathway readers and CGE for older grades

Climbing to Good English CGE

R&S: Climbing to Good English vs. Building Christian English