Menu

Cambridge Latin 3 questions

Hello, all,

I'm looking for advice from anyone who has used Cambridge Latin 3. My 14yo (just finishing 8th grade) has used Cambridge 1 and 2 for the last two years. I've been planning on continuing with Cambridge as it works well for him and he's learned a lot from it.

My issue is I just discovered the pace seems to increase dramatically from Cambridge 2 to 3, going from 8 stages in the former to 14 stages in the latter. Is anyone familiar enough with the two levels to tell me whether the workload is dramatically heavier?

Thanks,

Tiffany

I cannot speak from firsthand experience, but my daughter (now a Classics major in college) used Cambridge Latin in an out of the home class. Her instructor used Cambridge Latin books I and II in one year and called that Latin 1. Cambridge Latin book III was used in the second year and considered to be Latin 2. Book IV was used in a third year and considered to be Latin 3. The fourth year of instruction was AP Latin and used other materials.

My surmise is that the workload would be heavier given that your son has done one book per year to date.

Regards,

Kareni

It's not just the number of stages, but the material in each stage in Cambridge Latin III is much harder than II. The fourth book is much harder than the third, especially the last half where it switches to original Latin authors. In my opinion, the first book goes much too slowly, as I recall, it don't even cover all five of the major Latin cases.

I think the typical high school sequence is the first two books coverr year one, then book three for year two, and book four for year three, then AP Latin for year four.

It's not just the number of stages, but the material in each stage in Cambridge Latin III is much harder than II. The fourth book is much harder than the third, especially the last half where it switches to original Latin authors. In my opinion, the first book goes much too slowly, as I recall, it don't even cover all five of the major Latin cases.

Thank you!

Tiffany