Menu

Latin question (LiCT & Henle)

Has anyone completed LiCT Volume II, and then moved to Henle III? Can you tell me if the "move" was successful? Because Henle looks to have more readings from the classics, I'm considering switching from LiCT.

My ds is still working out of Volume II (LiCT) and I don't want to rock the boat too much. We also do enjoy the history readings about the family that encounters Christ.

If you're using LiCT Volume III or IV, would you say that you are getting good doses of classics in the original languages? And are you pleased with the program?

I have been pleased so far, but after reading LCC, I'm having second thoughts. That's all.

TIA,

Has anyone completed LiCT Volume II, and then moved to Henle III? Can you tell me if the "move" was successful? Because Henle looks to have more readings from the classics, I'm considering switching from LiCT.

My ds is still working out of Volume II (LiCT) and I don't want to rock the boat too much. We also do enjoy the history readings about the family that encounters Christ.

I have not used Latin in the Christian Trivium, but the question that I would be asking is how much grammar you have covered in that textbook before you move to Henle III. As a sixty year old Latin textbook, Henle I is likely to cover almost all of Latin grammar, if not all, and time is spent in Henle II reviewing that grammar and applying it to the syntax while reading Caesar. I don't have a copy of Henle III, unfortunately, but I seem to remember that it is based upon the reading of Cicero. Henle IV starts out with the Pro Archia by Cicero and the rest of the book is Vergil. (The Caesar-Cicero-Vergil sequence is very typical for most mid 20th century Latin textbooks that were published between 1930-1970.)

You'll want to check the Scope and Sequence for Latin in the Christian Trivium for each year and compare it to the Henle Scope and Sequence to decide.

A cursory glance at the scope and sequence shown on the LiCT website indicates that most grammar is taught in years 1-3. Henle teaches it in First and Second Year, I would therefore strongly recommend that you stick with the same program until you have largely completed grammar instruction; you said you're happy with it.

Each Latin program aims to teach the grammar and vocabulary necessary to read Latin but does it in a different order. For example LiCT teaches the 5th declension and the subjunctive mood in Book 3, Henle covers those in Latin First Year but introduces a much smaller vocabulary.

HTH

I use LiCT for my classes and find it to be the best Christian Latin program. First of all, it is grammar based and extremely complete.

Let me know if you have specific questions. Nan