Menu

?? about therapy for emotional blocks

Guest iBlessings

Guest iBlessings

I haven't been on the board in a very long time but have an issue that I am at my wits end over. Hoping you all might have some answers or suggestions for me.

I have a 19 year old son who seems to be stuck at an 8 year old emotional capacity. He still plays with his legos, beyblades and REALLY doesn't want to work or grow up. He wants to play all day. He even admits this freely. When he was 8 years old he had a fairly extensive surgery on both feet. Before this surgery he was a very thin, happy young boy.

After the surgery he started to put on weight quickly and turned inward, closed off and depressed most of the time. This has continued since then. He is 6'3" tall now and about 300 lbs. He struggles daily with self-doubt and depression and has talked more and more about suicide. I cannot get him to go into counseling any longer since he is an "adult". He has been when he was pre-teen to early teen years. It didn't seem to make much difference.

I have heard of a theory/therapy where once the emotional building block is "fixed" the person is able to progress and mature quite quickly. I was not given the name of this therapy or how it works beyond this basic description. Has anyone heard of this? Any other suggestions? I am quite concerned for him. He still lives at home and I have a little influence on him. Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.

BTW, thank you Carrie, for reminding me that this board always has answers :)

This content and post are odd for a variety of reasons.

However, what is described isn't an "emotional block" but a developmental concern; he has not progressed along documented milestones to early adulthood.

You can't force him to go and earlier attempts at therapy seemed to be ineffectual. If/when he wants to go, it will be up to him what to say and what to disclose. Without his consent, on paper, you can't be a part of it.

Your choices are limited, but you *might* consider making "getting therapy and a complete physical" a condition of him continuing to live with you.

We go to energy work. There are many books about it--an easy-to-understand first book is The Emotion Code. (The book takes the existence of our spirits and a God as fact, FYI.) I don't know how you'd go about finding one--I found ours by word of mouth--but she's phenomenal and I've seen enormous immediate changes. My constant anxiety & ragged nerves/quicksilver temper/inability to tolerate any silence/constant need for input from... as long as I can remember... is GONE, among other awesome things. Love her. I'd see if your library has the book and maybe put feelers out locally for someone who does this sort of thing. Mine does a few specific types of energy work, but also a lot of other stuff, like reflexology. She's one of those people who can generally feel exactly what's going on, and will push past the things I'm talking about and ask specific questions about other things until we arrive at the actual root issue, which is often not what I expected, but exactly right, and clearing it up makes a huge, immediate, noticeable difference. I literally started one session unable to physically hold still, so upset/anxious/tense that I was essentially bouncing/vibrating in place. I get like that all the time and could never get more than an hour's calm or so before it started building up again. I left completely at peace, and with an ability to reestablish that peace in a moment. When things are going crazy around me, it no longer affects me/my internal peace at. all. That was what, two months ago? Still smooth, peaceful sailing. She's amazing.