Menu

Where should I start my kids this fall?

choc0holic

I'm pulling my kids out of public school after this school year is over (only 2 more days! yay!) for a plethora of reasons, and have spent A LOT of time researching curriculums, etc. For those of you who have been in public school prior to homeschooling, how did you determine where to start them out in say, First Language Lessons? Or in Writing with Ease? They have had a fairly rigorous experience at their school, but I don't want them or myself to be frustrated as we begin this journey. Thanks!

Lots of curricula has placement tests. WWE is one of them; scroll past the description on this page.

The average kid could probably start FLL at grade level and do fine.

For math absolutely look for a placement test, or the table of contents if a placement test isn't available. I'd err on the side of placing a bit too low. You can always skim the lower level, just getting the topics they haven't covered or need more practice on, and start the new book in the middle of the year.

(Mine have been homeschooled for the entire journey, but I do have experience switching from one curricula company to another.)

I homeschooled my oldest for the first time this year and I'm starting with the others in the fall, so I'm in the same situation. I've been looking at all the samples I can find, showing them to the boys and asking for their input and doing placement tests.

Sorry, I don't have any advice about WWE or FLL, but I'm sure lots of people on here have switched into the higher levels and can give advice about placement.

My recommendation to new homeschoolers is that you don't have to start everything all at the same time. Find your math, reading and writing curriculum first. You can always do history and science from library books for a while until you work the other things out. And some of their website have samples or placement tests, that is a great place to start.

I don't know your kids' ages, but we started first grade with Five in a Row. Unit studies, based on literature (with time to follow rabbit trails) gave my son a solid start in homeschooling. He would still say our years with FIAR were his favorite. It was an awesome way to de-school and fine the love of learning. I know there are some people that it just didn't click with, but it was a hit for our family. If I had only found Singapore math sooner, it would have been perfect!

I would say look at online samples as much as possible. Keep receipts and read return policies. We sent a lot of material back when we first started last fall. Sometimes something looks really good online, and when you get it, you find it won't work for you or your child.

We used WWW and GWG, I ordered one level under worried that we might miss something. But that was a mistake on my part; she did just fine with her own grade level and much of that was a repeat of the previous level. Apparently had some exposure in ps. We just breezed through it though, and went right to her own grade level. Call or email the company, they can often times help you too!

My recommendation to new homeschoolers is that you don't have to start everything all at the same time. Find your math, reading and writing curriculum first. You can always do history and science from library books for a while until you work the other things out. And some of their website have samples or placement tests, that is a great place to start.

:iagree:

I ordered way too much, too fast and became so overwhelmed that I almost threw in the towel. Although, we pulled out in November, so I felt rushed to find curriculum. I think you have plenty of time though, take it slow and have fun researching and browsing! :)

Thank you all for your suggestions and advice. I've been a lurker for the past 6 months or so, and truly appreciate your quick responses! I'll definitely be paying attention to return policies...I hadn't considered that before. I always figured if it didn't work I'd sell it/trade it off.