Menu

National Piano Playing Auditions

brownie

by the Natl Guild of Piano Teachers...

How valid are these results? Both my boys who have taken lessons for only 1.5yrs and 9mths scored very well...well into the superior range. I don't recall the descriptions exactly but ds11 was only a point of 2 from being "nationally competitive" or some such nonsense. ds11 is quitting piano now bc I can't get him to practice and the teacher said kids who score that well don't take breaks from piano.

When I was a kid, getting a superior was reserved for only the cream of the crop...but I don't know that it was the Natl Guild of Piano teachers I played for. Neither of them got any negative comments which was baffling.

BTW, I don't have the "grade" results, but they both got the 3rd elementary grade. The teacher kept those results.

Thanks!

Brownie

This is what I know. The children should be playing pieces on their level for a committee. They should be judged on how well they play the piece. I would think that getting superior would be possible because that would mean they played the piece really well, which is the goal. They are not judged against other students. So, it is not the case that only the cream of the crop get superior. The beginners who play their pieces excellently get superior. The advanced student who plays Mozart well gets superior. They are judged against the music. I would want to have all the comments from the committee; just ask the teacher for a copy.

The one thing that is different about the guild is that you can prepare as many pieces as you wish and get feedback. I participated with them as a teen once or twice, but we don't have a committee nearby anymore.

Yes that makes sense. It is actually more in line with what I think of all this...that our teacher does not push the children to move to more complex music quickly enough bc he is of the opinion that children should not play Bach until a certain age, Beethoven until an older age, etc...

When I was a kid it was only one piece so perhaps it was not the guild.

We went to the college at a local chapel where we were scheduled to perform in front of just a judge. She was there for a few days listening to various teachers' students in the area.