Menu

IEW Elegant Essay

I think I have pretty much decided on using The Elegant Essay from IEW this coming year. But now I am trying to decided if I need both the student workbook AND the TM or just the student book. I looked at what is supposed to be included in the TM and it doesn't appear to be anything that I need. However, I read that both books work together and are essential to make the program work. Has anyone used the 3rd edition and can clarify?

Thanks.

I think I have pretty much decided on using The Elegant Essay from IEW this coming year. But now I am trying to decided if I need both the student workbook AND the TM or just the student book. I looked at what is supposed to be included in the TM and it doesn't appear to be anything that I need. However, I read that both books work together and are essential to make the program work. Has anyone used the 3rd edition and can clarify?

Thanks.

We used EE shortly before the TM was available. It was very difficult for me to teach, and we ended up dumping it. So if I were looking at using EE again, I'd definitely need the TM.

(We used High School Writing Intensive, along with Lively Art of Writing, instead.)

We used EE shortly before the TM was available. It was very difficult for me to teach, and we ended up dumping it. So if I were looking at using EE again, I'd definitely need the TM.

(We used High School Writing Intensive, along with Lively Art of Writing, instead.)

What part did you find difficult to teach? From the sample of the third edition all the necessary teaching is in the student book. I don't know if that is new or what.

What part did you find difficult to teach? From the sample of the third edition all the necessary teaching is in the student book. I don't know if that is new or what.

The whole thing. It was supposed to be self-explanatory, written to the student. It was confusing and not specific enough for me--or for dd. We spent a few weeks on it before giving up completely. After using the other two programs that we did instead, now either one of us could use EE much more easily.

I have Windows to the World (same author), and a s an IEW user for 4 years, I definitely like the TM for that one. She give a whole forward of instructions, thoughts, and experiences. It is written very anecdotally. However, when I did IEW Writing with Ancients and Medieval, I did not need the TM.

Personally, I would go ahead and buy it. Don't know if it helps.

I've got the 3rd edition and bought both the student text & teacher's manual. While I found lots of helpful ideas in the teacher's manual, it felt somewhat disjointed to me. Kind of hard to match up what lesson/concept I'm supposed to be doing on what day with what is presented in the student book. I think it's worth having, but it's not as clear-cut as I think it could be.

FYI - Most of the actual concepts you're supposed to teach are ONLY in the student book and are not reproduced in the teacher's manual, so I had to keep jumping back and forth between the two books to teach the concept & find the teaching ideas that go along with the concept. I read the teacher's manual ahead of time, but when it came time to actual teach the lesson concept, I still had to keep going back to refer to the teacher's manual.

Plus, there are grading rubrics in the back of the STUDENT book, which I didn't find until half-way thru the book. Not sure why these aren't in the teacher's manual.

So, good info overall in the teacher's book, but somewhat disorganized.

So, good info overall in the teacher's book, but somewhat disorganized.

So is there information in the teacher book that is essential for the lessons but not included in the student book? (I do have an older edition TM so I pretty much know the flow of what they teach.)