Menu

Solid HS level English course

I am in the process of putting together a solid 9th grade English course for my daughter. Can anyone share their thoughts on what would make up a solid course?? What would you include and how much of each element would be enough to make it considered a high school level as compared to middle school level. I would like to make it enough to be considered a honors level class (for what that is worth).

Thanks for your help!

I hesitated to respond because I have a rising 9th grader. I have no prior experience.

However, since no one else is responding, here is what I plan to do with my 9th grader next year.

• Grammar: Warriner's 4th course...work through selected sections for about 3 weeks each quarter
  • Vocabulary: WWW II...complete 5 or so lessons each quarter
  • Writing: spend 4 weeks each quarter working through lessons in Lively Art of Writing and Rulebook of Arguments
  • Literature: for each quarter, spend 4 weeks reading/discussing/writing literary response on 1 novel, 2 weeks doing the same on an novella or collection of short stories, and 1 week on poetry/essays. He will also have at least one other "free reading" book each quarter.

I know this sounds so complicated, but I have a nice, neat plan of exactly what we need to cover each week. For example, Week 1 he will work on grammar, vocabulary, and read novel. On Friday of that week, we will discuss the reading. During Week 9, he will work through Rulebook and do a poetry unit. It is planned well and it is quite cohesive (despite not sounding that way...lol!).

I really have no idea what should designate an honors course. I know Excellence in Literature has designated honors options...a student going that route would read twice the number of books as in the regular course. My plan would probably constitute honors designation in our local ps, but I have no intention to call it that on my son's transcript. Just English I. :)

I've looked repeatedly at this teacher's syllabus: Mr. Gunnar. This would be for the 10th/11th grade levels.

Also, someone recently introduced me to Janice Campbell's Excellence in Literature series. Level II would be her 9th grade curriculum. I don't agree with all of her literature selections, but I think she has the right idea in terms of making these AP courses.

When our family was homeschooling, we did the following every day:

Omnibus I and II

Grammar (Abeka; I'd probably use R&S now)

Vocabulary from the Classical Roots in the fall and Wordly Wise 3000 in the spring (thus, 2 vocab. books per year)

Daily writing--essays and progymnasmata writing

Altogether, we probably spent 2-1/2 hours on language arts per day.